Customizing Plugin & Not Allowing Updates

Home Forums Ticket Products Eventbrite Tickets Customizing Plugin & Not Allowing Updates

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tim
    Participant

Okay– I know that not allowing updates is a cardinal sin as this prevents security patches, bug fixes, etc. BUT I had to alter some of the code in the RSVP.php file (which generates the tickets) so that I could achieve the desired functionality for the client. This is really the only way that I could get what I needed to work to work (as I don’t believe PHP allows you to override functions in the same way as Java).

Now is there anyway to write in a hook to take away the ability for the client to upgrade this plugin by mistake?

Again, I know this is terrible practice and if anyone has another suggestion how to edit plugin functionality (besides the page templates), that won’t be overridden with plugin updates, I am all ears!

Courtney

Hi Tim

I’d actually suggest instead of blocking the updates that you check out the Themer’s Guide. We actually recommend rather than updating the plugin’s code that you can copy the relevant code to a folder in your child theme. This will preserve your customizations, while not conflicting with plugin updates.

Would this method work for you? Take a look at our preferred customization route and give it a shot. I’d hate to see the client be vulnerable OR not get the functionality you want.

Thanks
    Courtney 🙂

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Customizing Plugin & Not Allowing Updates’ is closed to new replies.