Current Menu Item in Navbar – No CSS/No Breadcrumb Trail

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Current Menu Item in Navbar – No CSS/No Breadcrumb Trail

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Danny
    Participant

Hello,
    I am having an issue applying a style to the current menu item in my nav bar that links to my events calendar.
    http://grassrootsvolley.ca/camps

You will see that “Schedule” does not have the current menu item styles that the other pages do, and you will also notice on this page that there is no breadcrumb trail either.

If you end up navigating to the details of an event:
    http://grassrootsvolley.ca/camp/15u16u-reception-session-2/
    you will see the desired style I wish to have for the “Schedule” nav title, and that there is a breadcrumbs trail associated to this event page.

What I believed to have been an answer to a form on wordpress.com that sounded like they were having the same issue as me… instructed the user to deactivate plugins to see if anyone of these could have been upsetting the natural flow of code 🙂

I went through all of my plugins to see if this could have been the case, and nothing had resolved the issue. I want to say that I am 100% sure that I did have it styled prior to migrating this site from a WordPress MS to this stand alone site, but I am not sure if that could have caused the issue.

This is a little over my head, and any help would be appreciated.

Thank-you for your time,

Danny

Rob

Thanks for the explanation on this one, Danny – it makes sense and we really appreciate you taking the time to write it out so neatly. Cheers on that end.

Regarding the hover state on “Schedule”, in your menu. If I understand the issue correctly (which I’m not positive I do), it sounds similar to the problem this user was having: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/main-navigation-css/#post-14099. Does that thread shed some light on the issue?

Regarding the breadcrumbs…it sounds like you’ve already tried the deactivation route and can confirm that this isn’t another plugin conflicting. (In the past, SEO-related plugins have been cause for this issue). Do you just want that same breadcrumb structure from the single event carried over to the list, or something more?

Danny
    Participant

Not a problem Rob.

The link you provided is the exact form I referenced, unfortunately that didn’t help me.
    When you hover over “schedule” is does exactly what I need it to do.
    But when you go to the “schedule” page it doesn’t adopt the same class that the other pages do:
    current-menu-item / current_page_item

Therefore, the link you provided would allow me to style the link if you were to hover over it (but I’m good there), however, there is no way to style it so when you land on the page it would adopt my current page item class.

And I am not sure why it does this specifically on the page I have set the “Events URL slug” to. Whatever is causing this issue for me, I believe it to be associated to why the breadcrumb trail doesn’t show up for this page.

The thing is, whenever I end up on a page that I set up my “Single Event URL slug”, then “schedule” adopts the current page/menu class and the breadcrumb trail shows up.

The theme I am using (catalysttheme.com) has SEO capability built into it. However, there are options in order to turn this capbility off; which I did, but this did not solve either problem I seem to be having.

I did try deactivating the theme to see if the page would adopt the current menu item class, and it did not. I have gone to your demo site and used firebug to see if your events page adopts the current menu item class, and sure enough it does.

Is there anything you can think of that would specifically not allow a page to adopt the current menu item class? It seems strange that it specifically doesn’t work for this page, but it does for other calendar event pages.

Thanks again for your help,

Danny

Danny
    Participant

Hey Rob,

Well now that it is May… The breadcrumbs trail is there on the schedule page, and the nav title “SCHEDULE” adopts the current page menu class.

April had absolutely no events. Therefore no events = no nav title styling for current menu class, and no breadcrumbs on the “Events URL slug”. This seems a little peculiar, but at least it didn’t have anything to do with the theme, or plugins I am using.

So now the question is, if there is a month that has no events on it (on this site specifically they will not be holding any events during the summer – only during the school year) – how would we get the “Events URL slug” to adopt the current menu class, and breadcrumb trail?

Regards,

Danny

Rob

Hi again Danny. My apologies for taking until now to get you a response here; the thread slipped through the cracks. Are you still having an issue with this after updating to 2.0.6, or has it resolved itself? Let me know if not and I’ll take a look this week. Thanks for being patient so far.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Current Menu Item in Navbar – No CSS/No Breadcrumb Trail’ is closed to new replies.