CSV Import and Venue Names

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO CSV Import and Venue Names

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Scott
    Participant

I regualry import a csv file of events. These events are often hosted in a hotel but in different cities. I have chosen the venue name to be the name of the hotel.

When I have an event at the same hotel, Holiday Inn Express, but in different cities the all the events at the Holiday Inn are imported with a single address (city, state, zip)

Is the only way to make a venue unique to have a uniqew venue name, not based on address as the qualifier for a new and unique venue.

If so the only work around I can think of it to make my venue name be a compounded by contatenating venue name and city and state (or something like that). I just hesitate doing so becuase then the display for venue name would see a bit odd and overly wordy.

Are my observations and assumptions correct about the how venues are matched during an import? Do you have any other suggestions on how to solve this.

As always, thank you.

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for using our plugins. I can help out here.

The CSV importer as you mention uses the name of the venue to match to an existing venue.

It does not have another way to detect the correct venue to use. So it will just find the first name and use that if duplicate names.

You could as you said add the city and state in the name or you could another method to make the name unique for each location.

Beyond that it would take modifying the core plugin files to change how this works.

If you think that is something you would like as a feature I encourage you to visit our User Voice Page and either upvote an existing request or make a new request there.

http://tribe.uservoice.com/

Thanks

Scott
    Participant

I tested this theory by concatenating venue name and venu city as the imported venue name and that worked. However I do not think that alone will be good enough because we also host at Marie Calendars and I can for see hosting an event at different Marie Calendars in the same city.

So it would be best to use the full address as the match. But then that would look ugly with all the preformated templates that display venue name. My thought was to redo all my templated and then do a php function to display the venue name but stripping off the info added for the import matching.

I have posted my request to user voice.

Thank you for your response.

Brian
    Keymaster

You’re Welcome.

Sorry to not have something better for you on this.

You could do as you said and add the city and state or a number after a | and then use a function to strip everything after it so it does not display.

That would seem to be the best way to do it for now.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘CSV Import and Venue Names’ is closed to new replies.