Creating a drop down event category search on the front end

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Creating a drop down event category search on the front end

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sandy

Hi there… Is there a way to create a drop-down menu on the front end that would let users search just for specific categories. In other words, if they only want to see “kids events” or “museums” or “health/fitness”, can we have a pre-selected drop down menu to limit searches to these categories?
    Thanks,
    Sandy

Rob

Sure is! If you go into Appearance -> Menus with Events Calendar PRO activated, you should see a section (towards the bottom) for Event Categories. You can plug in just specific categories (or your broader events list) in there.

That help? Let me know if not.

Sandy

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried that and was able to create an “Events Menu” Tab with just the event categories I want. But can’t seem to get it to properly appear on the pages.

I am using Pagelines Platform Pro, so I set it up as a secondary nav, but it still doesn’t appear on the main Events page.
    http://gonorthnyc.com/events/

Strangely enough, I did manage to get it to appear on one of the individual events pages, *but* for some reason it is appearing TWICE on these pages:
    http://gonorthnyc.com/event/33-pct-council-meeting/

Help?

Sandy

Oh… and it still isn’t a drop-down menu… just a secondary nav under the main nav… would be better if it was a dropdown like the list categories plug in on the side bar of both the above pages

Rob

Hey again. Depending on the theme you’re using, you’d likely have to add it to whichever menu is configured as the “header” or equivalent. That should get it to appear across the board on the home/sub-pages.

On your second point: if I understand the issue correctly, couldn’t you just add the top level “Events” as the first item, then each of the event categories directly underneath it (indented on the backend, so they appeared sub-categories of the top level item on the frontend)? If it’s just showing them as a list that’s likely an issue with your theme rather than the plugin itself…

Let me know if this is still a problem and I can keep looking into it.

Sandy

I’m using Platform Pro from Pagelines… added the second nav to the header template, but doesn’t show up… I’ll try asking over in the Pagelines forum as well.

On the second point: I tried that and then put it into the sidebar as a custom menu, but it is still appearing as a list and not as a dropdown. The dropdown does work for the Categories List (directly above it in the sidebar on http://www.gonorthnyc.com). So I don’t think it is a theme issue…

Any thoughts?

Rob

Weird. Does the same behavior happen if you revert to the default 2011 theme (not saying you need to do this permanently – just to test)? When I attempt that on my default 2011 site it works without issue.

Let me know. If that’s not the case, might be a good idea to email me (rob at tri.be) with some backend creds for the site and I can take a look directly.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Creating a drop down event category search on the front end’ is closed to new replies.