Confused between options for users

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Confused between options for users

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Graeme
    Participant

Hi.
    If a user logs in to edit their events, they get the following options:
    1. View calendar
    2. Add event
    3. Edit events
    4. Community: Submit event
    5. Community:My events
    6. Event add-ons
    I see option 2 as the odd one out, and the problem; options 2 and 4 do the same thing, don’t they? My users will be much more comfortable completing the form under option 4. So, is there any way of disabling option 2?
    Do you see my point?

Also, if I disable access control under the Community settings for the subscriber only, I am blocked (as an admin when I try and log in using wp-admin) from the wp-admin. I have entered no URL in the ‘redirect URL’ option box.

Graeme

Casey
    Participant

Graeme,
    Thanks for getting in touch! Hopefully I can clear things up here. I’m assuming you’re talking about the options in the black ‘Admin Bar’ at the top? If so, then option #2 actually links to the back-end admin dashboard to add an event, whereas option #4 links to the front-end Event Submission form, where users can submit events. Let me know if that helps to clear things up a bit. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

Graeme
    Participant

Hey Casey!
    Understood, but that’s my point: essentially options 2 and 4 achieve the same thing BUT the average user is going to feel much more comfortable completing option 4 which is the front-end submission form, as opposed the back-end form. There is no obvious way of hiding option 2 that I can see. Why have two methods of doing the same thing when only one is needed? I’m guessing that the issue lies in the fact when the community calendar is installed on top of the events calendar, it leaves the events calendar ‘Add Event’ option instead of removing it?
    What do you think?
    Graeme

Casey
    Participant

Graeme,
    Your ‘subscriber’ users shouldn’t even see the admin bar at the top. What user role are you logged in as when you’re seeing this?

Graeme
    Participant

Hi Casey. Massively confused now. I’m logging in as a subscriber. But clearly subscribers have access to edit and add events because that’s why they’ve subscribed and why I bought the plugin, so they must see some admin bar, right? I can send a screenshot if you have an email. At the far top left they see the name of the site and that drops down to reveal the dashboard, which of course is hidden with the exception of ‘Events’ and ‘Profile’ options. Then to the right of that there is ‘+New’ (for new event) and then to the right of that a drop down for ‘Events’ where they have a load of options: View Calendar, Add Event, Edit Events, Community:Submit Event, Community:My Events and Event Add-Ons (which does not allow them access) – and that brings me back to the issue of too many options.
    Graeme

Graeme
    Participant

I have selected to block access to the admin bar for only subscribers but this does not work (but if I did that, how would they add/edit their events?). Anyway, it also blocks me completely from accessing wp-admin so there’s a bug there it seems…

Casey
    Participant

Graeme,
    I’m sorry I wasn’t clearer, but the ‘Admin’ bar is the black WordPress bar that appears at the top of the site if you’re logged in (screenshot). Could you send me a private reply with a login (subscriber level is fine) to your site, so I can look closer? Thanks!

-Casey-

Graeme
    Participant

This reply is private.

Casey
    Participant

Graeme,
    It looks like you should just be able to disable the ‘Admin bar’ for subscribers, since they shouldn’t need to view the back-end of the site anyways. Correct?

If that’s the case, then you should be able to disable the ‘Admin bar’ for non-admins using the Community add-on. I would also suggest Blocking access to the WordPress dashboard for subscribers for security reasons. You can do this by going to ‘Events-Settings->Community’ and changing the options at the bottom of the page (screenshot).

Give that a try and let me know if it does the trick. Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

Graeme
    Participant

Thanks for your patience with this. That does not work. I have selected to block access to the admin bar for only subscribers using the Community add-on but this does not work. Incidentally, it also blocks me completely from accessing wp-admin as the Admin (with only ‘subscriber’ checked). You asked me if subscribers shouldn’t need access to the admin bar, but they do because I want them to be able to edit their events and I guess that accessing options on the admin bar is the only way to allow them to do this??????????? I also don’t understand why allowing subscribers access to the admin bar is a security issue??????????; you mention they have access to the dashboard but they don’t have access to the full dashboard – only events and their profile. Sorry, but I just don’t get it.
    Graeme

Casey
    Participant

Graeme,
    You should be able to allow users to edit their submitted events by going to this URL after logging in: http://sheffieldkids.co.uk/sheffield-events/community/list Would you mind temporarily changing my user account to an admin so I can review your Community Settings? Thanks!

-Casey-

Graeme
    Participant

Hi Casey.
    Thank you so much for your help with this. I have sorted it. Where I went wrong:
    1. I failed to understand that the ‘Role to block’ feature in the Community settings refers exclusively to wp-admin. This is explained in your instructions.
    2. I failed to note the ‘community/list’ suffix to the URL, which takes me to the edit events section of my site.
    These two points meant that I misunderstood the fundamental elements of being able to hide the admin bar whilst still being able to manage events.
    I am sorry for the time I have taken from you in you helping me get to this point. I really do appreciate it. It was the URL that you posted in your last reply that made the penny drop!
    Thanks Casey.
    Graeme

Casey
    Participant

Great! Thanks for confirming that this got you sorted. Since it looks like you’re all set here, I’m going to mark this thread “Answered” and close it out.

By the way, if you have a minute or two, we would love it if you’d write a few words for us here: http://wordpress.org/support/view/plugin-reviews/the-events-calendar?filter=5

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Cheers,
    Casey

Casey
    Participant

Graeme,
    It looks like you might have another plugin conflicting with Community that might be causing the Admin bar to display for all users. Could you try deactivating all other plugins and see if that resolves the issue?

If you’re still unable to get the admin bar to disappear to Subscribers, then you could also try this approach to see if it resolves your issue: http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-disable-wordpress-admin-bar-for-all-users-except-administrators/

Thanks! 🙂

-Casey-

Casey
    Participant

Graeme,
    I’m assuming you’re all set here, since you marked the thread as answered? Just let me know and I’ll close it out. Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Confused between options for users’ is closed to new replies.