Community Events Not Working.

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Community Events Not Working.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    hometownchatter
    Participant

I recently uploaded the Events Calendar plugin and it looks and works great—although it’s not live yet to users. So, yesterday I bought the Community Events add-on so users could post their own events, however, it doesn’t work. I think I set it up right, but when I go here: http://hometownchatter.com/events/community/add it doesn’t take me to an add event page. I’m guessing there must be a conflict with the theme I’m using (Classipress), but I don’t know where to look. Please help!

hometownchatter
    Participant

Just curious, since I’m a paying customer, is there some way I can actually get a quicker response?

Barry

Hi hometownchatter,

Everyone on these forums is a paying customer ๐Ÿ™‚ however we do largely keep to regular working hours (Mon-Fri 9-5) with some variations as the team is distributed over a wide area, so questions posted late on Friday or over the weekend typically have to wait until Monday until a team member can reply. We’re sorry for any inconvenience that may have caused.

To the problem at hand:

I think I set it up right, but when I go here: http://hometownchatter.com/events/community/add it doesnโ€™t take me to an add event page.

So it looks like a fatal error might be occurring as only part of the page is being rendered – that certainly does suggest a conflict somewhere along the line. Can you try running through our standard troubleshooting steps?

• Please ensure that your Modern Tribe plugins are up-to-date and in-synch … for instance if you are using The Events Calendar 2.0.11 you must also use Events Calendar PRO 2.0.11 (if you are using that plugin) and, in this case, Community Events 1.0.5
    • Deactivate all other plugins and change your theme to a default, unmodified one such as Twenty Eleven or Twenty Twelve
    • Now test to see if the problem still exists
    • If the problem has been solved by these steps, start reactivating everything one-at-a-time, testing at each point to see if the issue has returned
    • If the issue does return, take note of whichever plugin (or theme) you reactivated immediately before it started again – it’s likely there is a conflict with this item
    hometownchatter
    Participant

Thanks Barry. I’ll do your suggestions this evening. Hopefully, we can figure this out because I think it is exactly what I’ve been looking for. As for the earlier comment, I didn’t realize until I reread it how snarky it sounds. I really was just wondering if I was asking my question in the right place or if I was supposed to start a ticket through email or such. I do appreciate how busy you all are and I thank you for your time. I’ll let you know if I find the problem. ๐Ÿ™‚

hometownchatter
    Participant

I deactivated all of my plugins and it still didn’t work. So, I deactivated the theme as you suggested and it worked with the Twenty-twelve theme. Apparently there is a conflict with my theme. Do you have any ideas?

Barry

If you’ve isolated this to your theme then we’d probably need to take a look at the actual error.

Are you able to access the server error logs (you might need to check with your web host on that one – unfortunately some hosts are limited in that regard)? If so then one strategy would be to replicate the error then check out the entries in the error log with the corresponding date/time.

Alternatively, you could try setting WP_DEBUG to TRUE (there’s a line in wp-config.php you would need to change):

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

Then visit the submit event page to trigger the problem and see if you are presented with an actual error message – but remember to restore the original value of WP_DEBUG afterwards.

hometownchatter
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

Well, it’s difficult to give a definitive answer because although the error refers to a file in their theme code the root cause could still lie within our plugin.

However, what we can say is that they are trying to use the result of a function and are assuming it is a string (a piece of text) without first checking to ensure that is actually the case – so it might be worth waiting to see what response they provide.

If it helps, do feel free to link to this thread from your support ticket with Classipress.

hometownchatter
    Participant

Thanks Barry. I did find the other thread I was speaking of earlier https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/fatal-error-in-add-event-and-list-event-pages/ I’m just now trying to figure out how to remove the breadcrumb through my child theme rather than removing from the core file. I have a really hard time understanding action/hooks so I, again, am awaiting an answer over on the classipress forums—might take forever–LOL I’m hoping to figure it out soon, because I really, really want this for my community site. I’ll keep you posted if I figure it out. Thanks for you time on this matter.

Barry

No problem. If it is indeed contained in a theme template file then perhaps you could copy it to your child theme and override it there? That way the original, core file would be untouched.

That’s just an idea, it’s difficult for me to offer concrete answers as Classipress is not a product I’m familiar with.

hometownchatter
    Participant

So, I ended up deleting the breadcrumb in the core file, for now. I’ve got a ticket in with the Classipress forum to let me know how I can remove or disable the breadcrumb through my child theme, but I wanted to make sure it was the problem. It was. Now I have a few questions. I have a few strange things on the event form and the single event listing page is a bit wonky. I have images that I could send you so you could see what I mean, if you let me know how I can do that.

Barry

So if these are separate issues then it would be great if you could create new threads to accommodate them – it just helps to keep things more organized for us and also helps others experiencing similar problems to potentially find the answers.

To send images, could you try using a service like https://droplr.com/ or an equivalent and just drop the links in to the thread?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Community Events Not Working.’ is closed to new replies.