Help Desk

Comments on Single Event – 404 Error

I apologize if this has already been reported, but I didn’t see it.

In Settings, I have ‘Show Comments’ checked.
    When attempting to add a comment to a Single Event, I get a 404 page not found error.
    I have custom permalinks set to /%post_id%/%postname%/

Running on the Genesis framework, latest version 1.7.1 and WP 3.2.1

Thanks

Thanks Bruce,

I’ll have rob see if he can reproduce it in the morning and figure out what is going on.

Hi Shane,

More information – the comment entries ARE being created in the database. But the page returns a 404 every time, and the comments are not displayed on the single page.

Hey Bruce. Hope you’re well. Just a heads up that I tested this on my end today and was weirdly unable to recreate it. Any chance you could try on a non-Genesis theme to see if the issue persists? Also, I recall you were testing on Genesis for us during the beta days…were comments working then, or had you just not tried them until now? Let me know and we can try to get this nailed down for you.

Hi Rob. I’m sure it will work on a non-Genesis theme :). But unfortunately, I develop Genesis based sites. Therefore, testing on a non-Genesis theme really won’t get me anywhere, except for happiness to see the plugin work 🙂 .
    So… maybe I could give you access to a dev site I have, and you could take a peek? It will take me a bit to set up the site, so let me know.

As I said previously, the Comment entries are visible in the admin, so they are being created. I believe that it has something to do with the slug or permalinks that is causing the 404 issue.

Thanks for your help

Bruce: understood regarding the Genesis theme and the fact that you build on it; just wanted to check if this was isolated to that or a broader issue impacting custom themes. If you can set up a dev environment for me to take a look, it’d be great (since I’m unable to recreate any of this on my end). Have you also tried deactivating other plugins to see if this is a conflict with one of those?

Rob – just emailed you the dev site, with login info.
    Thank you

See my last comments in my post “All Day keeps getting reset”. That problem may also have something to do with the permalink. Perhaps when a comment is added and saved, it is similar to when I updated the permalink that had an em dash in it. The comment is considered an edit to the post and the plugin modifies the permalink? An update to our event posts seems to reset the event times–hopefully it doesn’t reset all the data for the event. I’ll have to check that.

Thanks Cynthia. Bruce – that alter things for you in any way? Still looking into the issue on your site and should have some thoughts over the next day.

Hi Rob –
    I do believe that it could be a permalink related issue, but I’m out of ideas. Are you not seeing this anywhere except with Cynthia and myself?

Yes, you two are the only folks who have reported this so far – and I’ve been unable to recreate it on my end. Not to say it isn’t a legit issue; just harder to diagnose when it isn’t easily recreatable.

Hi Rob,
    Did you get a chance to login to the dev site that I emailed you a login and PW for?
    You can see it there for yourself…
    And I was able to replicate it on two completely different Genesis child themes (with absolutely no mods to them at all, and no plugins running except ECP 2)…
    Thanks

Isn’t the post from Cindy (not me) titled “Comments for events” similar to Bruce’s?

Hey Bruce, I’m looking into this today and will follow-up on your email after I finish hitting the forum.

Cynthia: I think the problem Cindy was having was just that comments weren’t displaying in a given template (fixing that for 2.0.1) and that they weren’t enabled accordingly. Since hers wasn’t an error involving a 404 message best I could tell.