Changing times on Eventbrite

Home Forums Ticket Products Eventbrite Tickets Changing times on Eventbrite

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    prydonian
    Participant

Thanks for your patience with this.

I suspect that the sporadic nature of the changes suggest that when the events are imported, they may be going in to edit them (adding organiser & venue details, etc) which is triggering the Eventbrite update.

Until the dev site goes live, I may disable the methods you posted, so that any edits don’t mess with the live events and then re enable them on launch.

Barry

Right: if a user makes changes it is not unlikely that would trigger this (and even if a piece of code leveraged various parts of the WordPress API to make changes automatically that could also trigger this sort of behaviour).

Hopefully that works for you until you go live – I’ll leave this topic open for the time being but even if you come back needing further assistance on this issue and find it’s been closed (we usually close topics after a 2 week period) definitely feel free to open a new topic and simply link to this one.

Thanks!

prydonian
    Participant

The only puzzling thing is the time change. Since the dev site is set to GMT, as is Eventbrite, an event update shouldn’t change the time, but it apparently does.

Barry

It’s definitely puzzling.

Honestly, I don’t yet feel I have a good picture of the chain of events. For instance, these comments initially made me think this was happening automatically and consistently whenever you import from Eventbrite:

There was no editing of the events, it just changed all of the EventBrite times … It seems to be almost instant.

On the other hand, you also noted that:

I suspect that the sporadic nature of the changes suggest that when the events are imported, they may be going in to edit them (adding organiser & venue details, etc) which is triggering the Eventbrite update.

Does that indicate that you think other users/your clients are manually making adjustments?

The only puzzling thing is the time change. Since the dev site is set to GMT, as is Eventbrite, an event update shouldn’t change the time, but it apparently does.

It sounds like you said the dev site was set to London time rather than being pinned to GMT and, as I understand it, London is only in GMT for part of the year. If your Eventbrite events have been explicitly set to GMT there could, at various times of the year, be a 1hr difference.

Is that 1hr period consistent with the jump in times you are experiencing? If not, how many hours difference are we talking about and does it vary per event or is it consistent?

Can you confirm if this still remains a problem only if your full stack of plugins/theme are enabled – or is it also consistently a problem when testing under default conditions?

prydonian
    Participant

From what I’ve seen with some more investigating, it looks like the events are being edited after import to add venue & organiser details. This is probably what’s triggering the Eventbrite update. It happens when all other plugins are disabled & a default theme is used.

The time jump is always 1 hour, so it may be a GMT issue. From what I can see, WordPress, when set to London time, will automatically adjust from GMT to DST on the correct dates, but Eventbrite sets the time when an event is created (is that correct?). This suggests to me that events that were created before the UK switched back to GMT would have been altered.

Since I’m not the person who originally set the events up in Eventbrite, I can’t say for certain what timezone they were set to at the time of creation.

I’ve attached the timezone settings for both sites (the Eventbrite one is for their latest added event).

Eventbrite timezone

WordPress timezone

Barry

OK — so if they are being manually edited that would explain most of this.

For instance if the same organizer was previously imported and then various details for that same organizer were changed on WordPress, it will indeed use this new information when an imported event is next updated (and will try to update the same details on eventbrite.com): that’s the expected and intentional behaviour.

We are of course open to any ideas you might put forward in terms of making this a more intuitive and flexible system and you can post any such requests on our UserVoice channel – but I’m not sure we’re looking at a bug as such.

In relation to timezone issues, once again this sounds like it may be the expected behaviour (please see my original reply from 5 January).

On that count, we do realize that the automated adjustment of times hasn’t proven to be ideal for all our users and we already have a change in the works that will make it possible to turn this off – so relief is in sight 🙂

Does that help/clarify things?

prydonian
    Participant

It does. thanks for your help.

The automatic timezone alteration feature does sound appealing.

I think the only thing that would’ve probably helped is a “this is a dev site” checkbox, which stops the plugin from overwriting anything live whilst events are being imported and edited (to add venue details, etc).

Barry

Cool, well definitely do add that (don’t overwrite anything feature request) over on UserVoice – we consider all and any requests, but posting their has the added benefit of letting other users show their support for a feature which can be a valuable metric for us 🙂

Barry

Hi! It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If we can help with anything else, though, please don’t hesitate to create new threads as needed. Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘Changing times on Eventbrite’ is closed to new replies.