changing recurent event dates gets 404 and broken links

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO changing recurent event dates gets 404 and broken links

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ifaman
    Participant

Hi,

I made a date change (postponed) to a recurrent event and:

• the translation bits weren’t changed;
    • worst, I got 404 and unbroken links on Google search, once the urls of every single event changed.

Questions:
    – I do I solve this?
    – Everytime that I will have to postpone recurrent events on my calendar, do I have to insert url redirections to avoid 404 errors?

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello ifaman,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

I’m sorry you are experiencing some issues. Let me try to help you with this.

At the moment recurring events do get the date of the recurrence in the url / slug. That is how we can distinguish between the different instances of a recurring event.

When a recurrence rule is changed and the event is updated, then all the previous recurrences are deleted and then re-created. If the dates have changed, then they will get a new url / slug.

I’m not quite sure how that plays out on translated events, if the date changes carry over or not. Might be that the translations need to be deleted and re-created as well.

The only solution that comes to my mind is what you wrote above, insert url redirections. Or the alternative would be not using the recurrence rules for recurring events, but creating them manually.

I hope this gives a bit of clarity. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this topic.

Cheers,
    Andras

ifaman
    Participant

Hi Andras, thank you for your feedback.

don’t know how, but I have changed a new recurrent event calendar date, posteponed it from Feb the 5th to the 12th, and everything is working just fine… base language entrie (PT) like the translations (EN)

https://www.ifa-training.com/en/calendar/curso-a320-type-rating/2018-02-12/

If you try the old link, it still works… https://www.ifa-training.com/en/calendar/curso-a320-type-rating/2018-02-05/

My problem is when you share from calendar to a post on a social network (Facebook), then you need to change calendar date and you will get a broken link.

The way I see it, this just cannot happen from the calendar perspective.

• Changing dates is a basic operation;
    • mark a training course on your calendar, needs to be coonfigured has recurrent events, so they can fill the month occupation and give visitors a better perspective;
    • by no chance of creating course calendar dates mannualy, otherwise we would make a landing page;

So my question is: was this luck, my last date change?
    Can you please check internally how this will work, especially concerning with shared events and its url on social media?

Best regards,

Luis

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello again Luis,

Sorry for the somewhat longer waiting time. I had some discussions with the team to get this fully sorted.

It is as I said before. When an event date or recurrence rule is changed and the event is updated, then all the previous recurrences are deleted and then re-created. If the dates have changed, then they will get a new url / slug.

There is a minor failsafe in place. In case a date, and so a url has changed and a user visits the old url, then the first upcoming event (or the first event) in the series will be loaded.

when you share from calendar to a post on a social network (Facebook), then you need to change calendar date and you will get a broken link

Yes, that is so, in case the failsafe doesn’t kick in for some reason.

The way around this can be:

• using URL redirection
    • using single events instead of recurring ones, because the slug of single events do not contain the date, thus the slug doesn’t change if the date changes

I hope this give further clarity on the case. If you have any further question, let me know.

Cheers,
    Andras

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘changing recurent event dates gets 404 and broken links’ is closed to new replies.