Changes to Tooltip.php not taking effect

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Changes to Tooltip.php not taking effect

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    oneyellowtree
    Participant

Hello,

I have been trying to edit a templet file of tooltip.php.

I have made a copy of the files in the child theme as instructed here https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/themers-guide/

I would like to change the line [[=dateDisplay]] to display the location

But none of the changes seem to take effect, Deleting the line [[=dateDisplay]] the tooltip still displays the time. even editing the core tooltip.php file has no effect on the site. I have tried clearing the theme cache But the changes still have no effect.

Cliff

Hi.

[[=dateDisplay]] exists in both /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/views/month/mobile.php and /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/views/month/tooltip.php

Referring to this past answer on customizing this might be helpful: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/help-adding-category-to-tooltip-but-with/#post-1080199

Please let me know if you still need assistance after referencing this information.

oneyellowtree
    Participant

Hi Cliff,

I am not wanting to use [[=dateDisplay]] I want to replace it with tribe_get_venue().

Nothing I do to the template makes any changes.

Cliff

Gotcha. You might see if you can spot any console errors at your site. (If needed, you may reference our KB article Using Google Chrome Developer Tools.)

There might be an error because of trying to use PHP within a JavaScript context.

That past forum thread I linked to explained how to do such customizing… you have to modify the single-event.php file in that same directory, particularly $additional_data so you can use it in the the tooltip.php file.

oneyellowtree
    Participant

Hi cliff,

I will try that but I wonder why I still don’t see any changes even if I edit the ‘core file’ and delete [[=dateDisplay]]. I still see the date when I shouldn’t see anything.

Cliff

Hi. So sorry my long outage wasn’t covered by another team member. Please let me know the current status of this issue so I can best help going forward.

Thank you.

oneyellowtree
    Participant

Hey Cliff.

The first problem I need to solve is that even if I edit the core plugin files (NOT the child files) No changes appear on the site.

I deleted the [[=dateDisplay]] replace it with nothing at all the site will still display the date on the tooltip. It should not display anything if that line of code is gone. Correct?

I have cleared the theme cache, my browser cache and even open the page in an incognito window. I still see the date on the tooltip.

I would like to display the location of the event on the tooltip. But first, we need to find out why editing the core files make no changes whatsoever to the event calendar.

Thanks

Cliff

Gotcha. You should switch to a WordPress default theme like Twenty Fifteen, Twenty Sixteen, Twenty Seventeen, etc. and see if the same happens.

If modifying the core files then does work, you should look for any theme overrides built into your active theme.

If modifying the core files does not work while running Twenty Seventeen theme, then I’d say you’re likely incorrectly making the overrides, in which case please detail which file(s) you’re modifying and how you’re doing it.

Here’s a .zip of the single-event.php and the tooltip.php for Month View that worked for me: tooltip-override-for-1435321

Please let me know how this goes for you.

oneyellowtree
    Participant

Hey Cliff,

I was able to find a solution on GitHub https://gist.github.com/bordoni/439bd58bbfbb7db3454b

I did not change themes or change anything in my current theme but there have been a few updates since I opened this ticket so perhaps that solved the caching problem.

Thanks for your help.

Cliff

I’m glad you found what you were looking for.

Have a great day.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Changes to Tooltip.php not taking effect’ is closed to new replies.