Change excerpts to show full description

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Change excerpts to show full description

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Emily Holton
    Participant

Hi – I want the shortcode in my full events descriptions to work in my excerpts in “list” view. I tried this fix: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/change-excerpts-to-show-html/
    But couldn’t find that code in my single-event.php file. What am I missing?
    Thank you! Really appreciate the help your team has provided so far. You guys are the best. 🙂

Emily Holton
    Participant

PS If it’s possible to have the formatting come through but ALSO have a “find out more” link at the bottom of the excerpt so it’s not too long, I’d be interested in that fix too. Thanks again. 🙂

George
    Participant

Hey @wheretogokiddo,

Excerpts can indeed be a bit tricky to work with, so thanks for reaching out. That forum thread you linked to is is from 2014 and so some of the code references and information aren’t up-to-date/accurate any longer.

With that in mind, though, you mention this being a solution you’re interested in:

If it’s possible to have the formatting come through but ALSO have a “find out more” link at the bottom of the excerpt so it’s not too long, I’d be interested in that fix too.

☝️ This is actually possible if you just manually enter the excerpts in the “Excerpt” metabox on event edit screens. For more information on this, check out the “Solutions” section of this blog post → https://theeventscalendar.com/the-trouble-with-excerpts/

If you are still interested in a code-based way of doing this, of having the full content display but still WITH a “Find out more” link, let me know!

— George

Emily Holton
    Participant

George you are a legend. Thank you so much for your help with everything today.

Your article explains how to preserve HTML by using the excerpt field… but I tried using a shortcode there the same way, and it doesn’t work.

Here’s what I’m trying to do: I’m hoping to use a star rating plugin (“Reviewer”) to rate venues, and I’ll want to use that plugin’s shortcode to have a venue’s star rating appear in each event excerpt (in list view). Is this possible?

George
    Participant

I’m glad that article helped!

When it comes to shortcodes, this is unfortunately a bit tricky, but you might have some progress if you try adding the following code to your theme’s functions.php file:

add_filter( 'tribe_events_excerpt_allow_shortcode', '__return_true' );
    add_filter( 'tribe_events_excerpt_shortcode_removal', '__return_false' );

I hope this helps!
    George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Change excerpts to show full description’ is closed to new replies.