Change Event Widget Dayname

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Change Event Widget Dayname

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    patrailsofhistory
    Participant

I’m trying to customize the event calendar widget and had no problem with the CSS but couldn’t figure out how to change Dayname to Month name. This calendar will be used on a website that has a few slow months with very few events so it makes more sense for the little box to display the month name and day number.

I’d also like to be able to conditionally display the venue. If the venue is equal to X don’t display it, but if it is equal to Y then display it. I can’t figure out which file(s) to copy to my child theme folder to make these changes.

Lastly, I’m not sure how to get the entire date and time to display on the same line like in the screenshot here:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/remove-calendar-grid-from-calendar-widget/

The hyphen and end time are on separate lines on my website even though there’s plenty of room for it all to appear on the same line.

Casey D

Hello patrailsofhistory,

Could I get a public link of what you have so far?

Typically, that level of customization goes beyond theĀ scope of the forums. However, depending on the scope of the request I may be able to help you out.

If you check out ourĀ Themer’s Guide, you could probably make a template override to display what you want. Have you taken a look at that already?

You want to override the wp-content/plugins/events-calendar-pro/views/pro/widgets/mini-calendar and create/move it to your [theme]/tribe-events/pro/widgets/mini-calendar folder. Edit the appropriate files inside and you can add venue conditionals and more.

Does this make sense? Let me know if this doesn’t work for you.

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

patrailsofhistory
    Participant

This reply is private.

patrailsofhistory
    Participant

The themer’s guide helped me find which files to copy to my theme directory. I was able to also figure out the monthname filter and get_venue_id, so those two things have been customized. The day start/end time line is still displaying on 3 separate lines. It’s probably a conflict with the themes’s CSS but frontend design/dev is not my strong suit.

Casey D

Hello patrailsofhistory,

For some reason your ‘spans’ have a ‘display: block’ to them in your theme. If you do something like this

#newsbox tribe-mini-calendar-event span { display: inline !important; }

it will probably work, but no guarantees. You’ll have to confirm but that will give you push in the right direction.

Does this make sense? Let me know if this doesn’t work for you.

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

patrailsofhistory
    Participant

Yes, that was a helpful hint. This is what ultimately worked: #newsbox .tribe-mini-calendar-event div.list-info span

One last question about the widget: is there a way to specify that it show the next X number of events, regardless of month? I saw the FAST FORWARD TO THE NEXT UPCOMING EVENT tutorial, but that’s not quite what I’m looking for. There may be slow months were there are 0-2 events. We always want 4 events to be shown. So if there is 1 event in June, 1 event in July, and 3 events in August the widget would show 1 Jun, 1 Jul, and the first 2 Aug events.

Overall I’m really happy with this plugin, but I’m just trying to duplicate some of the functionality we had when using the (incredibly buggy) Timely plugin and widget.

patrailsofhistory
    Participant

Another scenario is when it is toward the end of the month. If it’s the 29th of June there might only be 1 or 2 upcoming events in the month. I’d rather also have a few events from the next month underneath those instead of a half empty space on the home page.

Casey D

Hello patrailsofhistory,

You’ll want the ‘Events List’ widget for that. The mini calendar only shows events for that month.

We are working on a tutorial to make the ‘Events List’ widget look like what you have now though. I’ll reopen this thread when we publish that tutorial.

Does this make sense? Let me know if I can explain anything else!

Cheers!

– Casey Driscoll

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Change Event Widget Dayname’ is closed to new replies.