Category as Single event URL slug?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Category as Single event URL slug?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Drew
    Participant

Is it possible to use the Category as the single event slug? i.e. rather than site.com/events/eventname can I have site.com/category/eventname?

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Drew,

Thanks for the email. Unfortunately the only way to get to event is the the URL. You can link to a category in general but not an event in that category. Like so: /events/category/categoryname/

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
    Brendan

Drew
    Participant

Gotcha.

Secondary, related question. Can I redirect the root of the events page to the homepage with a 301? I don’t really want anyone to land on http://cvlt.org/events because I’m using the shortcode to embed the events in the homepage. I don’t have any nav pointed to the /events/ page, but I don’t want anyone (including search engines) stumbling in there since it’s duplicate content and not necessary. I attempted to do it with a 301 redirection plugin, but I kept ending up with a bad link.

Happy New Year, BTW. 😉

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Drew,

Happy New Year!

Here is how you would do that: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/how-to-make-your-calendar-your-sites-home-page/

Let me know if that works.

Thanks,
    Brendan

Drew
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

If I’m using the shortcode method is there a way to redirect the default
    /events url to the homepage? I haven’t been able to figure out how.

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Drew,

The instructions do give a way to do it with a shortcode: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/how-to-make-your-calendar-your-sites-home-page/

Thanks,
    Brendan

Drew
    Participant

I might be poorly explaining my question. The article there says “There are three main methods for making the calendar your site’s homepage.” I’m not looking to make the calendar my site’s homepage. I have used the shortcode to put the calendar into my homepage, and I want to redirect the default calendar TO the homepage.

Right now I have the Settings > Reading configured with “Homepage displays: Static Page” and that is set to my homepage, which has [tribe_events view=”photo” tribe-bar=”false”] in the content section. The “Posts page:” is left un-set.

When someone goes to the homepage, they see just want I want them to see. When they go to /events they see the built-in calendar layout, which I don’t want them to see. I want to redirect the default /events to the homepage, not the other way around. 🙂

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Drew,

One thing you can do is setup a redirect of /events to your homepage.

Thanks,
    Brendan

Drew
    Participant

That’s where I’m stuck, I guess… when I’ve tried to do that, I end up bouncing to cvlt.org/events/cvlt.org which is an invalid address. Any guesses about how I can redirect that without getting into a loop?

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Drew,

Maybe try a plugin like Redirection to manage the redirects. That is one a lot of customers use.

Let me know how that goes.

Thanks,
    Brendan

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘Category as Single event URL slug?’ is closed to new replies.