Canvas Issues

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Canvas Issues

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    James Musgrave

Please don’t make me ditch the Canvas theme! I got it running just the way I want it and your event calendar is pretty much what I want to get happening but there are a few issues.

1. no comments. If I hook back across to Twenty Fifteen I can see the comments on the bottom of the individual events pages, but when I put it back into the nice cute Canvas the comments section disappears.

2. the Events Calendar page in Canvas looks like http://www.centralcoastadventuresports.com.au/events/.

Is this something that can be resolved?

George
    Participant

Hey James,

We typically don’t offer theme-specific support, but Canvas is a pretty solid theme and many of our users are able to use it fine with The Events Calendar – let’s indeed try to get it working on your site 🙂

I’ll address your issues in reverse order since the Events page not showing up is a major issue – we can work on comments later.

For the Events page, I’m curious: is http://www.centralcoastadventuresports.com.au/events/ an actual page in your Admin? In other words, if you go to Pages in your wp-admin dashboard, will you see an item titled “Events” in the column there?

If so: delete this page.

For the main /events/ page generated by The Events Calendar, do not try to actually create this page anywhere on your site. The Events Calendar will auto-generate that URL and display the events there with magic 🙂

Now, as for comments not being enabled, just a quick check for now: have you enabled comments in Events > Settings? There’s an option to do that on this screen under General Settings.

Thanks!
    George

James
    Participant

I have deleted the Events page, and just replaced it in the menu with the http://www.centralcoastadventuresports.com.au/central-coast-adventure-sports-events/

I am 99.83% sure that this page was generated by your plug-in, but as you can see it looks goofy in Canvas.

If I hook it back over to Twenty Fifteen it looks normal. Boring, but normal.

Show Comments is indeed ticked in the Events/Settings section.

I am also curious as to whether it is possible for the Events to be automatically generated in the Calendar in the dropdowns when they are created, or if this still needs to be done manually as it’s a different section of WordPress.

I’ve just upgraded to Pro due to your excellent customer service, which means that you have to be extra nice to me – especially as it cost me a hell of a lot more than $89 due to the crappy exchange rate at the moment!

George
    Participant

Hi James,

You mention things looking fine in Twenty Fifteen, which is a huge indicator that these display issues are indeed stemming from the Canvas theme itself. One thing I’m curious about is this: what is the Events URL in your Events Calendar settings?

You can find this option in Events > Settings > General, as shown in this screenshot → https://cloudup.com/cyyfj0p_E3U

As for comments – do these show up fine in the Twenty Fifteen theme by any chance? It’s possible that your Canvas theme isn’t calling a comments template appropriately or something.

As for your question about automatically-generated events, there is not default functionality for auto-generating events themselves. However, you specified “in the dropdowns when they are created”, so do you mean something on the front-end of your site and not a literal meaning of “auto-generation” (i.e. that events automatically create themselves based on data on your site or something).

For the sake of organization, it may be worth waiting until we sort out your actual Display issues first, before addressing auto-generation and such. Just so that we can build on a solid foundation, so to speak…

Finally, your upgrading to PRO is greatly appreciated – thank you! Regardless of whether you have PRO or not, it’s always my intention to be nice to you 🙂 And it’s my intention to help resolve your issues, as well. We are faced with the inherent limitations of themes, and can’t address issues if they are code-based problems with a theme, but I know of many people using Canvas without issue so there is likely a non-code solution here – hopefully!

Thank you for your patience with this, your issues are a bit odd in the way they’re manifesting so there are a healthy number of possible sources of the problem we need to work through here. Thanks for going along with that James.

Cheers,
    George

James
    Participant

I will see your screenshot, and raise you a screenshot. http://www.centralcoastadventuresports.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/slug.jpg

In addition to both the List view and the Month view being nice and view being nice and viewable in Twenty Fifteen, I can also see the comments box.

I’ve left it in Twenty Fifteen mode for the time being so you can suss it out.

I think I may have asked my question about Auto Generation indelicately, as you seem to have answered on a tangent to what I had in mind. I’m just after the links being updated in the menu whenever I create a new event or one has passed. But like you said let’s put this item on the backburner as adding them manually to the menu is no biggie.

James

George
    Participant

Hey James,

Thanks for your continued patience here, and it’s with such patience and good nature in mind that I hate to bear frustrating news – if comments work fine in Twenty Fifteen, then it is Canvas, after all, that’s the culprit here.

The reason that’s the case is because, if Comments are enabled for a post type, then they should load fine given comments template.

The Events Calendar handles enabling Comments appropriately – here’s code from the plugin, for example, showing the proper use of the add_post_type_support() WordPress function to enable events comments → https://cloudup.com/cEEbfaqo1BT

So, while I’m sorry this thread has taken this long to get here, please contact the Canvas theme folks and describe this same issue. Describe how the Events post type has comments enabled as something the post type supports, and works fine in 2015, but just isn’t showing in Canvas at this time.

In the meantime, there are a few things you can try:

First, head into Canvas and look for a file called single.php. If you see a function in this file like this, or something similar:

<?php comments_template(); ?>

Copy and paste that into single-event.php in your Events Calendar plugin files (the full path to which is wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar/src/views/single-event.php)

Paste it into a location similar to where it resides in the single.php file – this might help.

Let me know if that helps!

James
    Participant

Hey George! Look what I managed to make it do!

http://www.centralcoastadventuresports.com.au/central-coast-adventure-sports-events/

If anyone ever bugs you from the other side of the planet having Canvas issues, you can get them to fix this by one little selection in the settings:

http://www.centralcoastadventuresports.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/theme.jpg

I selected Default Events Template instead and it seems to work most swimmingly now, and has reintroduced the comments section on the bottom of the Events pages.

Which leads me to my next bit of fun. What code should I be using in the custom file to style the single events pages in terms of padding, maybe removing the headings, etc?

Can you also recommend a ratings plug-in so that people who leave a comment about an event can give it a number of stars out of five and it collates them all and displays an average?

On the calendar and Events Category pages, is it possible to just have the name of the event and the date and ditch the writeup?

That’ll do for now…

George
    Participant

Hey James,

While I don’t know of a good ratings plugin off the top of my head, and we do not offer customization support here, I’m really glad this worked out for you finally. I’m sorry for not thinking of changing the template sooner!

And despite our lack of customization support, hopefully to at least get you started here it will help to know that the gist of things is to head to the bottom of your theme’s style.css file and write custom CSS to achieve the styles you’d like. If you’re not familiar with CSS, it’s fortunately very easy and straightforward – especially if you get and use a [free!] tool like Firebug if you use FireFox, or the Developer Tools for either Safari or Chrome and employ their helpful “Inspector” tool liberally 🙂

For example, you mention adding some padding and such – you could make the events take up more space on the page with CSS like the following:

#tribe-events-content-wrapper {
    margin-top: 2em !important;
    max-width: 90% !important;
    width: 90%;
    }

I tried that out on your site using those tools I mentioned above, and here’s how it looks: https://cloudup.com/cufMpZBAFyC

Just an example. You can do pretty much anything you’d like here, so have fun with it and be sure to keep good backups of any custom code on your site – and your site in general, of course!

Cheers,
    George

James
    Participant

LOVELY! Starting to get my head wrapped around this stuff now!

However, I have followed the instructions on https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/price-range-for-ticket-prices/ and it works fine just fine, but when I now hit the UPDATE button on the CSS editor it saves it but just reloads a blank page. You lovely peoples ever come across this before?

Also, I have tried trawling through the forums for an answer to just having the Event Name, Date, Price and Location info in the Events or Categories view and not the writeup description from the event page itself, but cannot find how to remove it.

James
    Participant

Oops, I spoke to early about the date range thing. I just noticed that although it does indeed show a date range in the Events Calendar and the Single Event page, it seems to be killing the details in on the event page at the cost section and the discussion section thereunder.

George
    Participant

Hi James,

A few things here. First, you mention a “CSS Editor” – this could be a plugin or something from your Web hosting provider, or from your theme, but in any of these cases it’s unfortunately outside the scope of our support since CSS is normally just added directly to CSS files.

If you mean the Editor built by WordPress, I’ve not heard anyone report that blank-page behavior and cannot see it for myself.

If your goal from following that thread’s instructions was to add this to your site:

<?php echo esc_html( get_tribe_woocommerce_tickets_price_range() ); ?>

Then you should not be adding PHP to your site through any Editor. To add and customize PHP, work with the files directly over FTP.

As for hiding the description on certain pages, as I mentioned above we can’t really support little customizations tweaks here, and your best option is to get a free tool like Firebug if you use FireFox, or the Developer Tools for either Safari or Chrome and use them to learn what CSS you can edit on your site.

but, before closing out the ticket, I suppose I can share a bit more CSS 🙂

To hide event excerpts from the List view, for example, drop in some CSS like the following to the bottom of your theme’s style.css file:

.tribe-events-list-event-description {
    display: none !important;
    }

I’ll close up this particular thread for now, since we’re wandering into customizations requests which we don’t offer support for here, and the main issues with Canvas are resolved. If other support issues arise on your site, come back and open a new thread any time.

Cheers!
    George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Canvas Issues’ is closed to new replies.