can't upload image to community event

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events can't upload image to community event

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I’m having the same issue as netgrrl. I’m running WordPress 4.7.3, Events Calendar PRO 4.47, and Community Events 4.4.5. I’m using the Extra Theme by Elegant Themes.

In the Submit Event form I click on the CHOOSE FILE button to select an image, select a 220KB jpg, but then I don’t see a button to actually upload the image. I scroll down to Save Event hoping that that will also upload the image, no luck. I get the warning attached, with the message ‘File doesn’t exist?’. I check the Media Library, sure enough the file isn’t there.

I can upload the image to the Media Library and add it directly to the post, so the WordPress back end works fine.

This is frustrating, and I see many others have been bitten by this, so I’m just going to go into your code and disable the image upload function.

========================
    PLEASE LEAVE FOR SUPPORT
    Reporting the same issue as: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/community-events-cant-upload-image/

Ok, I commented out the part in views/community/modules/image.php that added the image selection and uploader to the template, and it all works great now. I don’t want users to post crappy images anyway :=), and it makes the form shorter too, which I like.

It’s the <div> section between the two calls to do_action() in that file. Screenshot attached (can’t upload code).

YMMV – I can’t promise it will work for you.

-Joseph

Ok, more developments that I hope actual support folks will weigh in on.

I noticed that after my testers tried to upload images to add to an event (and failed), I was no longer able to upload images to the media library myself; and I’m the site administrator. The error message I got in WordPress when trying to add an image to the media library was:

_The uploaded file could not be moved to wp-content/uploads/2017/06._

So here’s what I think is going on. Users that register so they can add events are assigned the role of Subscriber. Subscribers are able, evidently, to create a draft event post, but my guess is that they may not be allowed to actually save images to the media library. As a result the host’s server may be interpreting that behavior as a hacking attempt and ends up locking down the media library.

Is that (or some variant of it) what’s going on here?

Thanks!

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Joseph!

Thanks for reaching out to us and for keeping us posted about your findings. 🙂

Let me help you with this issue.

First, regarding your first issue, you shouldn’t see an image upload button in the form. You should only see the “Choose File” button to select the image you want to upload, and then it will be uploaded only when you submit the event.

Regarding your last issue, If you are not able to upload any images/files via the Media Uploader, then I’m mostly sure that is an issue coming from your server.

Just to discard there are no conflicts with the theme or plugins you should first switch to a default theme like Twenty Seventeen and deactivate all plugins. If you are still unable to upload via the media uploader, then you should get in touch with your hosting provider and explain them the issue you are having.

Let me know how that goes and if you have other questions.

Best,
    Victor

Thanks Victor! I was going to reply with an update but you beat me to it. This did in fact turn out to be an issue with the server; this little problem uncovered a larger issue that they had, and they’re on it. So thank you for that! :=)

I’ll mark this as resolved from my end, and will let you know if I run into any more problems. I have since downloaded the latest versions of Calendar, Calendar Pro, and Community Events and will install and test once the dust settles on the server side.

Thanks!

-Joseph

(PS: I *love* this plugin)

Victor
    Keymaster

Hi Joseph!

I’m glad you are on the way to solve the issue. I appreciate you following up to let us know.

I’ll close this now, but definitely keep us posted if any other questions/issues come up and we’d be happy to help.

Thanks for you kind words 🙂

Cheers!
    Victor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘can't upload image to community event’ is closed to new replies.