Can we pre-define a value in the filter, when user clicks on page, value is set?

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions Can we pre-define a value in the filter, when user clicks on page, value is set?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dave Voyles

For example, I manage one calendar for 3 different cities (sites). I’d like to assign each city as a tag or category.

Ideally, I’d have a 3 links on the front page of the site, each to the calendar, but with a value already set in the calendar (such as tag).

So when the user clicks on “SF Calendar” they are taken to a calendar page with the tag “SF Events” already set.

If they want to switch to Philadelphia, and they were at the homepage, they would click on the PHL calendar, which would be nothing more than a new page with the calendar and the tag “PHL Events” set.

Is that possible?

Caroline

Hi there!

Thanks for your interest in our products! We definitely do support this type of functionality with The Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO–you can create and share links to categories or tags and even add these links to menus generated within WordPress. You can read more about how these links work on our Knowledgebase here and here!

Does that help to answer your question? Let me know if there’s anything else I can assist with! 🙂

Dave Voyles

Thank you very much for the prompt response!

I’m going to give this a try this week and report back with an update!

Dave Voyles

Hello,

I am taking a look at your demo site to get a feel for how this could work. I see that with the filter, I have the option to select the venue. This is exactly what I need, but with one more step.

The URL changes when you filter by venue. The calendar also changes to only display events in that particular venue. So far, so good.

However, if I copy that new URL (Example: http://wpshindig.com/events/?tribe_venues=11034) and open a new tab in the browser then paste that URL in, I am presented with the default calendar.

Ideal scenario
    Ideally, I would like to have the url direct me to a calendar with that filter applied, so that it only shows activities at that venue.

Is that possible?

Caroline

Thanks for following up! The issue you’re describing may be a quirk with our WP Shindig site in particular, as we’ve so far been unable to replicate it on other sites–we’ll continue to perform further testing on our end. We appreciate you taking the time to bring it to our attention!

If you’d like to give users the option of viewing events for a given venue, you can achieve this via the venue taxonomies themselves, which are handled much like post categories by WordPress. You can see an example venue page on our WP Shindig page here! Perhaps this type of view would work for your needs? Let me know if you should have any other questions or if I can clarify anything! 🙂

Dave Voyles

Oh perfect. I love the way that page looks. Fantastic layout for showing off the content.

I suppose my final question is, can I display that calendar on that page as well? Or just the events at the venue?

I mean, is it possible to have the venue URL hardcoded and display the calendar for that location drawn onto the page?

Caroline

Great question! The calendar functionality that you describe isn’t included by default as a component of venue pages, but this is likely something that could be achieved by way of customizations. Our Themer’s Guide has plenty of information on plugin templates and making modifications–should you choose to go this route, our premium support team would be glad to try and offer suggestions and direction wherever possible!

I hope that helps! Let me know if you should have any other questions! 🙂

Dave Voyles

Thank you!

I think my best bet may be to create a new page for each “venue calendar” that I want to use, and then write some javascript to automatically select that pulldown for the user, so that it appears that the page is only showing that venue by default.

Thanks, I’ll keep you in the loop.

Caroline

Definitely–let us know how things progress and if you should have any more questions as you go! Since you’ve gone ahead and marked your issue as resolved here, I’m going to go ahead and close this thread out. Best of luck getting started, and we hope to see you back here on the forums! 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Can we pre-define a value in the filter, when user clicks on page, value is set?’ is closed to new replies.