Calendar plugin slowing site

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Calendar plugin slowing site

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Claghorn
    Participant

I’ve read some of your suggestions for speed issues, but I’m having major issues and over time seems to just get worse. Would cleaning up past events help speed the site up? I’ve increased hosting and physical memory but it just wants more. The P3 plugin clearly points to the Events Calendar plugin as the culprit. Any ideas or suggestions??

Brook
    Participant

Howdy claghorn,

I am glad you asked. Performance can be a hard thing to wade through and zero in on a good solution.

Would cleaning past events help? Absolutely. Your MySQL server’s performance is directly related to the size of each database table. The fewer entries you have, the less searching it has to do. How much of an impact this will have though, is impossible to say with any accuracy. Performance improvements are just that way, usually very hard to predict unless you are intimately familiar with every facet of the server and software. My recommendation, if you can clean up past events and past posts, do. Every little bit can help. Unless you need the past ones as a sort of archive, perhaps for search engine reasons. Then let’s try other stuff first.

Some questions that may help me give you specific advice:

1. May I ask which pages are performing poorly for you? Is it every page on the site? Or, is it Month View, or List View, or what? Could you provide a link to the page or site?
    2. Do you know how large your database is? How many entries are in the wp_posts table? How many KB is it?
    3. When you upgraded your server, do you know if you upgraded your MySQL server or just your web host? Many providers separate these, and often the MySQL server is what needs performance the most but does not get upgraded.
    4. Can I ask what plan you are currently using, and who your provider is?

Please let me know if you have any questions for me as well. Cheers!

– Brook

Chris Claghorn
    Participant

Well the P3 plugin still points to your plugin as the most resource user. But I came across some script to utilize GZIP compression software on the servers. It alone increased all of my WordPress sites load times.

Brook
    Participant

I am glad you found a resolution. Thanks for marking the topic that way. Gzipping is certainly a good thing to have. It helps particularly with low bandwidth pages.

I can certainly see P3 marking The Events Calendar as the biggest impact. For many people the most powerful plugin on their site is TEC, and so naturally it shows up. This can also be exacerbated by using some of the heaviest features. For instance the Month View requires a lot of queries to work. We have had performance experts take exhaustive looks at it because of that, and they all agree that we would have to remove features to optimize it any more. The queries are simply necessary, so the view is necessarily slower than many others. This is what I mean by the plugin being one of the most powerful ones people usually run. Calendar queries are almost always quite complex.

Thanks again for marking the topic. I am going to archive it. Please let us know if you ever need assistance with anything else. Open a new topic and we would love to help. Cheers!

– Brook

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Calendar plugin slowing site’ is closed to new replies.