Calendar not showing, outputting like a post using single.php

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Calendar not showing, outputting like a post using single.php

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kurt
    Participant

My website has a blog and will have the events calendar as well (on a separate page). I am trying to get the Calendar to show up on my site, but instead it outputs the events using my single.php template (that I use for the blog), and there is no calendar. I switched the template files to every other one I have in the dropdown (around 8) and it still uses single.php. I reverted the theme to 2014 and the calendar does show up. This leads me to believe there is a conflict with the plugin and my theme. Is there anyway I can manually output the calendar through shortcode or another way that wouldn’t attribute it to a post?

Geoff

Hey Kurt,

Oh man, that does indeed sound like a conflict with the plugin and the theme!

The only shortcodes offered in Events Calendar PRO at the moment are the ones that embed the calendar widgets on any page or post. Unfortunately, that does mean there are no shortcodes for full calendar views or single events at this time.

I think the only other option would be to construct your own post template for single events using our available functions to pull the content into the template. You may even be able to use the single-event.php template as the blueprint for that template.

Does the theme author provide any support and, if so, do they have some ideas on why single.php would be overriding the custom post type template for events?

Thanks!
    Geoff

Kurt
    Participant

Hi Geoff,

So I found that the theme was actually using index.php for blog posts, so I moved those over to single.php and there was still an issue of the calendar not showing up. With the blank index.php I copied and pasted the default-template.php contents into it and the calendar finally did show up! This is great except now it is tied to my index.php, and some of the functionality is not working (the tooltip on the month view). I tried doing custom templates by moving the views over to a /tribe-events/ folder in my theme but still they would not show up on the page.

Geoff

Oh geez, that is super weird! I honestly haven’t seen this come up in the past and anything related to templates is often resolved when changing the event template setting (Events > Settings > Display) to the Default Events Template.

It really does sound like the theme is crafted in such a way that it is interfering with the default WordPress template hierarchy — were you able to reach out to the theme author? I think that would be the best avenue for this issue. And, of course, I’m happy to keep this thread open while you do in case there is anything I can help answer from the plugin’s end.

Thanks,
    Geoff

Kurt
    Participant

Hey Geoff,

Thanks for the continued help!

I have reached out to the theme developers and they want me to ask you if The Event Calendar plugin is expecting something to exist in the theme’s index.php file in order for the plugin to work correctly.

Thanks,

Kurt

Geoff

My pleasure, and thanks for following up!

The Events Calendar does not require anything in index.php in order to work. In other words, I can completely wipe out the markup in the default Twenty Sixteen index.php file and the calendar continues to function as expected.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted if any other questions pop up and I’d be happy to help.

Geoff

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Calendar not showing, outputting like a post using single.php’ is closed to new replies.