calendar in a page outside of the theme

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events calendar in a page outside of the theme

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    media7220
    Participant

Hi,
    I need to follow up on a previous question. I need a way to place the calendar into a Facebook Page tab. It does not render well as part of the theme. As you do not support shortcodes, is there another way to make this happen? Another calendar I looked at had “super widgets” which allowed you to place a calendar on any external page. Is there some way to make this happen with your calendar?

Casey
    Participant

media7220,
    Unfortunately this is not currently possible. You might be able to embed the calendar grid widget into a custom page template. If you want to attempt this route, take a look at our documentation and themer’s guide to get you started in the right direction. Good luck! Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Casey-

Casey
    Participant

I just wanted to follow up and see if youโ€™re all set here or if you still have further questions. Just let me know if you need further help or if I should go ahead and close out this thread. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Casey-

media7220
    Participant

Thanks Casey,
    At this point I am evaluating whether this calendar is even going to work for my needs. There seems to be quite a few things that should be standard like shortcodes that would make the calendar work efficiently. Not even being able to add descriptions under categories in the submission page is going to be tough as well and make it a lot less user-friendly than it needs to be.

Casey
    Participant

media7220,
    Sorry to hear that. At this time, our plugin works by rewriting the WordPress loops, so it cannot use shortcode embeds. However, that doesnโ€™t mean it wonโ€™t ever have that functionality. We can definitely see the possibilities for pulling the calendar to pages.

As far as category descriptions are concerned, you should be able to paste this code into your theme’s functions.php file to display the Category descriptions above the Checkboxes on your form: https://gist.github.com/ckpicker/9348720 You might have to customize the code a little bit to suit your specific needs, but I think that will get you started in the right direction.

Give that a try and let me know if you have further questions. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Casey-

media7220
    Participant

Yes, I am aware of the category descriptions, however your “fix” places the descriptions above the categories and does not allow you to add descriptions along with the categories. I did some focus testing and it was very confusing to users. I need the submission area to be as user-friendly as possible, or people will just flat not use it.

Another shortcoming I am running into is the widget to display just an event category. It only allows you to choose one category at a time. So if I have an arts & entertainment page, and I want to display arts & entertainment events on that page, and arts & entertainment includes sub-categories like dance, theater, music, etc. I can’t do that. I can only choose one bulk category to display at a time. See where I am running into problems?

Casey
    Participant

media7220,
    Again, sorry that everything isn’t working exactly like you’d like out of the box, but we do have extensive documentation and a themer’s guide so that you can extend and customize the plugin to suit your specific needs. Take a look there and see if that information helps you customize things to suit your needs.

If these features are something you’d like to see in a future release, I would definitely suggest submitting them as ideas on our UserVoice page. Our team periodically reviews the most popular ideas for possible inclusion in a future release of the plugin.

If it were in my power, I would personally customize the plugin for every customer to suit their specific needs, but alas, that would be impractical and unsustainable with our small support team. I hope you understand, and I’d be happy to answer any further questions you might have.

Thanks so much! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Casey-

media7220
    Participant

I understand, however, even with the extensive documentation and themers guide it is not possible to:
    1. List category descriptions under category titles.
    2. select more than one category at a time in the event widget
    3. utilize shortcodes
    4. import the calendar as a stand-alone tab into Facebook pages
    Am I correct or am I missing something?

Casey
    Participant

media7220,
    Yes, you are correct on all of those items except for #2. You can select multiple categories for the Calendar widget by selecting items from the drop-down. Unfortunately, we don’t yet have this functionality in the list widget, but hope to implement it in a future release. Hope that helps clear things up for you. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Casey-

Casey
    Participant

media7220,
    A member of the community recently released this plugin, which will allow you to embed the Calendar widget in a page using a shortcode: https://github.com/barryhughes/event-rocket

Keep in mind that this is VERY new and not officially supported by our team, but it might help you accomplish what you’re wanting. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Casey-

Casey
    Participant

media7220,
    It looks like this plugin is now in the WordPress plugin repository: http://wordpress.org/plugins/event-rocket/ I also wanted to follow up and see if youโ€™re all set here or if you still have further questions. Just let me know if you need further help or if I should go ahead and close out this thread. Thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

-Casey-

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The topic ‘calendar in a page outside of the theme’ is closed to new replies.