Blog Cat. & Recent Posts showing up on my Events page

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Blog Cat. & Recent Posts showing up on my Events page

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Smull
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m using Headway Themes to create this site: http://lml.dev.bigpixelstudio.com/events/
    Everything was going great until I decided to add a widget area to my blog layout. I styled it, it looked fine. Great. Then I clicked on my Events page and the Blog Categories and Recent Posts decided to show up on my events page. So, I went to remove them from that page specifically using the Headway Visual Editor and no matter what I try to remove them, they still show up.
    Are you using the blog page to run the events page? If so, how do I customize one and not the other? Why would those appear there?
    I could really use some help here. We’re about to go live next week.
    On that note, I see that you updated from 3.7 to 3.8 and I’m worried that I will break this thing before we even get the site off the ground if I update the scripts. The only customizing I did was with styles. Will things still be o.k. if I update?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

Hi there, Mike! Thanks for getting in touch and sorry you’re hitting some trouble here. Hopefully we can figure it out here together. 🙂

The first thing I would suggest is updating to the latest version of the plugins (3.8.1). It’s always a good idea to keep a backup of your plugin files and database when updating so, if you’re concerned about losing customizations, you will be able to roll them back. Then again, it’s unlikely you would lose anything as long as the customizations weren’t to core plugin files.

Try updating (and backing up) to see if that makes a  difference.

The second thing I would check is whether you are using the Default Events Template. Head over to Events > Settings > Display and make sure the “Default Events Template” is selected in the dropdown. Does that make a difference?

Please give those two options a shot and let me know what you find before we dig any deeper. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

Mike Smull
    Participant

I’ll give the update a try.
    I did select the Default Events Template and it’s still using my Blog Layout when it should be using the Page Layout. I can’t see anyway to change this in your settings area.
    I’ll check back in after we update the plugins.

Mike Smull
    Participant

I did the update and that went fine, but I still have the recent posts and categories for the blog showing up on our events page. I really need to get them off of there. Why would the events template be using my blog template? I can’t find any way to change this in your settings.

Please let me know your thoughts on how to remedy this.

Geoff

Hi Mike, thanks for following up! Thanks too for updating the plugins and selecting the Default Events Template as a first step to troubleshooting.

The events page itself is not a registered page in WordPress and, by default, uses its own template. However, some themes will override the plugin template and treat it like an Archive template instead.

Could you try temporarily activating the default Twenty Thirteen theme, to see if the issue happens there as well? If disabling the theme fixes it, that’s good news! It means we have narrowed the issue down to a theme conflict.

If the issue is still there when using the default Twenty Thirteen theme, then we can try testing for conflicts with other installed plugins. Using the Twenty Thirteen, please try deactivating all of your plugins, except for the ones from Modern Tribe. Does that solve the problem? If so, reactivate the plugins one at a time until the issue pops back up, then tell me which one was causing the issue.

These steps are also outlined here if you want some more details on how to test for conflicts.

Give those steps a shot and let me know what you find.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Geoff

Hey there, Mike! It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If we can help with anything else, though, please don’t hesitate to open a new thread. We’d be happy to help. 🙂

Cheers!
    Geoff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Blog Cat. & Recent Posts showing up on my Events page’ is closed to new replies.