Best Practice For Community Calendars

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Best Practice For Community Calendars

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Denon
    Participant

Hi,

I run a community calendar that’s the digital version of my print versions that are mailed each year. Our PRINT editions are based on local communities of the local region. IE: The area of Minneapolis and Saint Paul, MN. While there’s one website, there are two communities served there. So people in Saint Paul really don’t care about Minneapolis for the most part.

Is there a way, or best practice, in using this plug in so that I can have a calendar for each area?

IE:

Minneapolis –
    – Sports Events
    – Kids Events
    – Chamber Events
    – School Schedules
    – Community Events

Saint Paul –
    – Sports Events
    – Kids Events
    – Chamber Events
    – School Schedules
    – Community Events

Bloomington –
    – Sports Events
    – Kids Events
    – Chamber Events
    – School Schedules
    – Community Events

So that people can “select a community” and not have to see what’s going on in other areas? I’d guess there is a way to run the one calendar buy create some sort of a view or filter so that each community can look into their own area easily. Is there a tagging method? category? or..

Thoughts?

George
    Participant

Thanks for reaching out @Denon,

Pulling off the sort of calendar configuration you describe is unfortunately a bit tricky with Community Events ๐Ÿ™ There are simply no solid out-of-the-box tools so that people can, as you describe it, “‘select a community’ and not have to see whatโ€™s going on in other areas.”

You could make each “community” of events its own Event Category, and then use the [tribe_events] shortcode to display instances of calendars that only show events from a specific category. So, something like this:

[tribe_events category="st-paul"]

You can learn more about that shortcode here โ†’ https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/embedding-calendar-views-tribe_events-shortcode/

In terms of the Community submission form, you could try to make a category a “required” field for event submissions. This unfortunately requires custom coding, which we’re not able to help with, but we do have a Knowledgebase guide that may help you get started with that process which you can read about here โ†’ https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/required-fields-for-events-submission-form/

I hope this information helps you get the ball rolling with your project!
    George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Best Practice For Community Calendars’ is closed to new replies.