Best Option for School Library Community Calendar

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events Best Option for School Library Community Calendar

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kelphick
    Participant

I’m a librarian at a high-school and I’ve been using Events Calendar Pro this year for library bookings. Presently, I have teachers submit a google form to me after they’ve looked at the calendar and then I manually add their bookings. Today I purchased Community Events hoping that it would allow teachers to book time in the library. However, I’m not sure how to proceed. I want to set up each school day manually with the available time slots open. When a teacher looks at a day I want them to be able to edit my post (the template) and add their name in the available time slot. Is this possible? If you want to look at the calendar as it presently works on my site, you might understand me better. Also, I want only teachers to access this. How do I set up passwords etc.

Barry

Hi – great questions 🙂

First of all I just want to note that I moved this from the WooCommerce Tickets forum to the Community Events forum, as that seemed more appropriate, however you should find the thread URL stays the same.

I want to set up each school day manually with the available time slots open. When a teacher looks at a day I want them to be able to edit my post (the template) and add their name in the available time slot. Is this possible?

Definitely possible, but it is not quite what Community Events is geared to do “out of the box” and is going to require some customization work.

Supposing each day has 5 time slots that are bookable. What you might do is add a set of links – one for each slot – that take the user to the Community Events submission form, but append some parameters within the URL query. For example:

http://www.example.com/events/community/add/?timeslot=2pm&date=2014-06-01

That last element that I highlighted in bold text would of course indicate the slot they wish to book. The submission form itself could be customized so as not to let them change the date/time and perhaps, given what you have outlined, the majority of fields can be removed. Our Themer’s Guide covers the basics for this sort of thing.

Also, I want only teachers to access this. How do I set up passwords etc.

If you visit the Community Events settings page (Events > Settings > Community) you can prevent anonymous users from posting events: with that in mind, you could issue WordPress logins to your teachers and make it a requirement that they first log in before posting.

I hope that helps 🙂

kelphick
    Participant

How do I issue wordpress logins to the other teachers in my school?

Barry

You can add new users via WordPress’s Add New Users screen – does that help?

codex.wordpress.org/Users_Add_New_Screen

Barry

Hi! It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If we can help with anything else, though, please don’t hesitate to create new threads as needed. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Best Option for School Library Community Calendar’ is closed to new replies.