also having a problem importing facebook events

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator also having a problem importing facebook events

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Penny LeLeux
    Participant

I have been having the same problem the last couple of days trying to import Facebook events. The list opens part way, but continues to cycle and it throws this error code before it gets to downloading the box for me to enter individual event id. I also have lots of events uploaded. The website is http://outsideoc.octx.info.

Content Encoding Error

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy pgleleux,

Thanks for the detailed description. I would love to help you with this.

It sounds like the importer is timing out. This typically happens when there are a lot of Facebook Groups it is trying to import from. Could you try going to WP-Admin > Events > Import . Are there a lot of group names or ID in the field  “Organization and page usernames / IDs to fetch events from” ? If so could you try temporarily removing them and hitting Save Changes. You might Cut/Paste them to a notepad somewhere so you don’t lose them. Now try visiting the Facebook Import page. Do you still get this error?

Cheers!

– Brook

Penny LeLeux
    Participant

That does and doesn’t resolve the issue. Thanks for the assist. Yes I do have lots of IDs importing and removing them does solve the problem, but then I can’t import from all the sources I need to…thanks, guess if I have a bunch of single events I’ll have to temporarily remove the ids to get them imported. Will be a pain, but at least it is a solution. I have events importing from about a 150 mile radius. Guess I’m trying to do more than the plugin can handle. Thanks for the assist. The Facebook import plugin does make my life easier as it gives me fewer events I have to input manually.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy again!

I understand that! You can workaround this problem immediately by doing one or more of the following things:

1. Increase your server’s “max_execution_time” in the PHP.ini file. You may need to talk to your hosting company about how to do this if you don’t know. Maybe set it to 300 (seconds) ?
    2. Doing what you are doing with only having a few IDs.
    3. Getting a faster server. Perhaps a higher tier from your current hosting company? In particular CPU speed and low network latency are a concern here.

Obviously thought the above is not an ideal solution. We do have a planned improvement for this where we will load the Facebook events in chunks instead of all IDs at once. This will cause one organizer to appear, then another. We will load it in the background with a progress indicator and thus avoid this altogether. The page will still take a very long time to load out of necessity, a lot of events is simply be going to be demanding on Facebook and their response will be slow. But, it won’t timeout. 🙂 This fix is still a little ways out though, it is planned alongside a lot of other major improvements to our importing plugins.

Let me know if you need further help here. I wish a perfect resolution was currently available, but hopefully one or more of the above will help alleviate things for now.

Cheers!

– Brook

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘also having a problem importing facebook events’ is closed to new replies.