Already have custom post types for location and groups

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Already have custom post types for location and groups

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sean
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve got a problem and need some help implementing event calendar pro. I’ve already created a custom post type for ‘venue’ (destinations) and have several custom post types for ‘organizers’ (rec programs, partners, etc.). My problem is how do I integrate my custom post types with this plugin. Do I create additional locations (‘venues’) and run the risk of duplicate slugs? Do I use abbreviations for my venues and full names for my destinations (Mission Dolores Park for destination, MDP for venue), or do I use the plugins custom post type? The last has several disadvantages:

the term venue doesn’t work for our biz practice
    the location of venues is under events, not where my data entry people would expect
    the venue templates would have to be hacked up quite extensively to display all of the associated content

Additionally, I’m using posts2post to connect my various posts together, which complicates things, to say the least. For example, I’ve got a custom post type, employee, linked to destinations. When viewing a destination, I can link to the ‘managers’ for display. This allows me to only store the employee once.

There are many benefits to using The Event Calendar Pro, and rolling my own seems like a grim prospect. That being said, I cannot figure out how to use the built in post types and my own. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sean Stasio in SF

Rob

Hey Sean. Thanks for the note here; we’re adding the ability to incorporate custom fields with your venues & organizers for 2.1 but unfortunately the functionality isn’t there yet. We’ve had a lot of requests for it since launching 2.0 though, so we’re building that out as needed.

Other users may have found a way to hack this together in the short term, but it’s pretty complex. If you could find a way to use the regular custom field functionality it’d definitely be the best way at this point. I will also note, that if you create a new translation file in which you change the word “Venue” to something else, you could use that as a short-term solution to get rid of that term.

Henry

if you’ve set up your own post type “venues” in functions.php and you didn’t want the slug to clash with the slug used in the events calendar plugin then you could use the following when registering your post type:

‘rewrite’ => array(‘slug’ => ‘myvenues’),

This will give you some control over the text used in your URLs

Rob

Thanks Henry!

Sean: any luck? Let us know if not and we’ll do what we can to assist.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Already have custom post types for location and groups’ is closed to new replies.