Allow COmments on Venues

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Allow COmments on Venues

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Martin Fernandez
    Participant

I found this: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/venue-comments-disabled/

ANd applied the recommended changes to my functions file. THe ability to toggle comments on and off in the admin is now there, but the comments form does not appear on the public side:

http://www.more-mtb.org/venue/495-jumps/

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

M

George
    Participant

Hey Martin,

Sorry you’re having trouble with this. I’m curious – have you added both snippets that Barry shared in the post you linked to?

If not, definitely ensure that both snippets are added – as Barry said, there isn’t “out-of-the-box” support for comments on venues, so you’ve got to rework some things a bit, and adding these two functions is the place to start here.

Once both of those functions are added, I’m curious: would you be able to (temporarily!) activate a default theme on your site, like Twenty Twelve, or Twenty Thirteen/Fourteen/Fifteen? As Barry also mentioned in the original topic you linked to, your theme itself could be interfering here, depending on its comments template and any limitations it might be placing upon the usage of that template.

If you can activate one of these default themes, let us know if anything is different.

Thanks!
    George

Martin Fernandez
    Participant

OK; I’ll give that a shot and see if it works.

M

Martin Fernandez
    Participant

George,

I’ve confirmed both snippets are in my functions file.

I activated both 2012 and 2015 and the comments form did not show up.

M

George
    Participant

Hey Martin,

I’ve investigated this a bit, and found two things you should ensure to get comments working:

First of all, comments are not something supported by default on Venues, so unfortunately, you will not be able to have comments on Venues if you have “Default Events Template” selected for the “Events Template” option in your Events Settings page.

You can find this option in Events > Settings > Display – on top of adding both of the functions we’ve discussed above, set this option to “Default Page Template” and save the changes.

If this alone doesn’t help, one more thing that should help is to go to Settings > Discussion in your WordPress admin and make sure the “Allow people to post comments on new articles” is checked. If it isn’t, then un-check it, save the changes, and then check it again and save the changes again.

Both of these things should help – I tried it out locally and got Venue comments working.

Let me know if it helps!
    George

Martin Fernandez
    Participant

This reply is private.

George
    Participant

Hey Martin,

Thank you for the login information, I logged in to verify and indeed was not able to find that option – even though it seems like both The Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO are both active…

Hm, that’s pretty odd.

There a handful of things I can think of off the top of my head that cause a weird issue like this, but before investigating any of these ideas, it’s important to first rule out the possibility of a plugin conflict on your site.

To that, leave The Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO active the whole time, and then deactivate every other plugin on your site one-by-one.

After each deactivation, check on the Events > Settings > Display panel again, and see if this option is there.

If you get all the way to the point that The Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO are literally the only plugins active on your site, two things: first, thank you for following through with troubleshooting that thoroughly 🙂 Second, leave your site in this state, and head to your site’s wp-config.php file. Once there, change this line of code:

define( ‘WP_DEBUG’, false );

to this:

define( ‘WP_DEBUG’, true );

That will display PHP errors on your site if any exist, which might help here.

Sorry for this added issue here Martin, hopefully we can resolve it soon. Your patience is supremely appreciated 🙂

Cheers,
    George

George
    Participant

Hey Martin,

Any feeback on this ticket? No worries, just checking in.

I’ll probably close this ticket by the end of the week if we don’t hear back from you, just to keep things organized – however, even if this ticket is closed, you can always come back later, open a new ticket, and then just link back to this one for reference. We’ll be able to pick up pretty much where left off 🙂

Cheers,
    George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Allow COmments on Venues’ is closed to new replies.