After Indexing by Google displayed links of Widget are wrong?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO After Indexing by Google displayed links of Widget are wrong?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Hi,

after we have installed the calendar (pro) and fixed the widget on every page, Goo.. has indexed everything by the next days.
    Now we have the problem with the displayed search results in the Goo.. search. Because sitelinks are shown of the widget. But this siteliks (event links) are completely wrong.

E. g this is shown!:

Günstige Ferienwohnungen in Cuxhaven-Duhnen
    https://www.ferienwohnung-cuxhaven.eu/ferienwohnungen/ferienwohnu…
    Ferienwohnungen in Cuxhaven-Duhnen für den Urlaub mit der ganzen Familie mieten. Direkt am Strand von Duhnen. Günstige Fewos von Privat.
    So., 12. Apr. Stadtsparkassen Marathon Kaemmererplatz
    So., 3. Mai Fischmarkt Alter Fischereihafen
    Do., 14. Mai Fleckenmarkt Ritzebütteler Marktplatz

1. the sitelinks should not be shown, because it is NOT an event page, but a vacation home page (with the event widget in the sidebar)
    2. all the sitelinks produced by the widget, (So., 12. Apr. Stadtsparkassen Marathon Kaemmererplatz) are not even pointing to the event – but instead back to the URL of the page, the widget is located on. (In this case: https://www.ferienwohnung-cuxhaven.eu/ferienwohnungen/ferienwohnu…)

Gents, .. any ideas?

Regards
    Michael

Michael
    Participant

Hello to the support,

pse response, since this is for us a critical issue.

1. The event widget is an additional information on our site.
    Displaying the sitelinks in the Goo.. Serps on ALL pages is not wanted.
    I suppose the 3 sitelinks are shown because of the “structured data” the widget produces. Is there a posiibilita to switch them off (regarding only the widget)
    It would be ok if the widget would display events, only with links pointing to the events.

2. For the Event section on our site, sitelinks produced by the events are ok.
    (even there the sitelinks in the serps are pointing oftenb to the wrong event?)

Pse response

regards
    Mike

Josh
    Participant

Hey Mike,

Thanks for reaching out to us! I apologize for the delayed response, we don’t typically answer support questions over the weekend.

I’m not sure I’m following the issue fully. To clarify, it sounds like you’re using the events widget on all pages. The problem is that the search engine results for those pages are picking up the information from the widget and displaying it in the search results?

Could you send a screenshot of the search result for clarification. I looked up the result for the page but I’m not seeing the added information in the result (https://cloudup.com/c2wIHlI4QPk).

Thanks!

Michael
    Participant

This reply is private.

Josh
    Participant

Hey Mike,

This is definitely strange behavior and honestly something I’ve never seen before. Out of curiosity, are you running any additional SEO plugins or Local SEO plugins that do additional output and formatting for Search Engine display?

If so, there could be a setting in there that is pulling strangely due to the rating and the events both intending to be in the sidebar.

Thanks!

Michael
    Participant

Hi Josh,

and yes we are running the YOAST SEO Plugin.
    We wouln t know why and how that plugin should interfere with the calendar widget?

As I stated before – most important to us would be “to switch off” somehow those sitelinks generated by the widget via the structured datas.
    See also my post:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/widget-installed-other-plugin-surpressed/
    (I guess we could close that one?)

A solution for us would be if we could get rid somehow of the “tags” within the widget code producing this structured datas. That way search engines could not read them and display them in the serps?

Josh
    Participant

Hey Michael,

Thanks for following up. Taking a look at our widget on my local install, I’m not seeing any direct structured data markup being output on the widget. I tried looking at your site again, however the links appear to be broken. Is the site still accessible online?

Thanks!

Michael
    Participant

Hi Josh,
    yes the site is up and you should see via the links again.
    Coincidently while you tried to check via the links, we did some technical maintenance.

Now you are able to check it.

Regards
    Mike

Josh
    Participant

Hey Mike,

Thanks for following up! I see your site is live again.

There is a class that is added that will be recognized as structured data, however main search engine display shouldn’t be picking this up. As an alternative, you can remove that class by adding the following to your theme’s functions.php file

https://gist.github.com/BeardedGinger/47b43c2be2ef86567465

You may need to wait for Google to re-crawl the site or you can manually check via Webmaster Tools to verify the markup is no longer being picked up.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

Michael
    Participant

Hi josh,
    we implemented the code in our functions.php!
    I checked in the WMTs via the structured data testing tool.

For me it looks as if the markups are still valid.
    We have 5 events displayed in the widget.
    The testing tool gives us

hcalendar 1
    dtstart: 2015-05-03T09:00:00+02:00
    summary: Fischmarkt
    dtend: 2015-05-03T06:00:00+02:00
    duration: 03.05. @ 09:00 – 18:00
    location [adr]:
    locality: Cuxhaven
    country-name: Deutschland

(This 5 times for every event.)

In the tools overview it gives us for:
    “knowledge Graph” – events – no error
    “rich snippets” – events – no error.

So for me it looks, as if the mark ups are stikll valid for Goo….!??????

regards
    Michael

Josh
    Participant

Hey Michael,

I’ll have to dig a little deeper to see if there is a way to easily remove all of the markup without directly removing the data from the plugin.

As an additional test, does the information persist as part of the Google result if you switch to a default theme and test with the latest theme active?

Thanks!

Michael
    Participant

Hi Josh,

you mean we should switch another thems?
    I am sorry, impossible, since this is a pretty big site and it is not possible to take it down for this, testing another theme??

regards
    Mike

Josh
    Participant

Hey Michael,

Yes, that is part of our typical testing process since it helps to ensure we’re all at an even testing point. It helps us to determine where the issue lies and whether or not the issue is something that needs to be addressed within our plugin or somewhere else in the process. We understand it can be difficult or frustrating at times. As an alternative, we do suggest that users can create a new dev environment on their current hosting provider and test with default settings on the test site.

I’m currently running some tests now and trying to get the issues to persists with the widget on the search results. Will then continue to find a solution for removing the classes for the microformats as an alternative.

I apologize for the inconvenience and should hopefully have an update for you shortly.

Thanks!

Michael
    Participant

Hi Josh,

to get rid of the wrong sitelinks we have the widget now displayed only on our index page. Since our site is not an event site by any means I think that is good enough.
    Thx anyway!

regards
    M

Josh
    Participant

Hey Michael,

I’m glad you were able to find a solution that works for you in this case.

I’ll go ahead and close this thread. If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to open a new thread.

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘After Indexing by Google displayed links of Widget are wrong?’ is closed to new replies.