Additional Field Edit Screen Section Header

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Additional Field Edit Screen Section Header

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Najib Manea
    Participant

When I create an additional field it shows up on the edit screen without a section header. How do I control the section header for additional fields?

The Events Calendar Knowledgebase shows the additional fields section with a header of “Additional Event Fields”: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/pro-additional-fields/#display

My edit screen shows a blank section header: http://screencast.com/t/690q4ayo

Geoff B.

Good evening Chris and welcome to the Events Calendar Support forum!

Thank you for reaching out to us.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

You are making such a great point. It would be very coherent to have the “Other” section header in the backend (“Edit screen”) as well.

The screenshot you are referring to in our knowledge base is actually one of the front-end (what users see when they look at a single event).

So in short, it’s not so much a bug as it is an enhancement to the backend that would make the interface better.

As such, I will open a ticket for it. Unfortunately, I cannot commit to a release date at this point. But stay tuned, you will be contacted as soon as it’s out.

Is there anything else I can help you with today ?

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Najib Manea
    Participant

Geoff B.,

You’re saying that this image from your KB is “one of the front-end (what users see when they look at a single event)”: https://theeventscalendar.com/content/uploads/2014/10/KB-Additional-Field-Values-665×171.png

That doesn’t seem to make sense. Why would a user be able to set the additional fields rather than just view them.

Geoff B.

Hey Chris,

I believe I miscommunicated what I was trying to say – my bad.

Let me try this again. Hopefully, I’ll be able to convey what I mean a bit better:

• The users are not able to set additional fields, they will simply view them
    • The specific screenshot you are referring to is what users see when they view those fields
    • As you might have noticed, when the users view those fields, they also see a section header for those fields (“Other”)
    • Unfortunately, that “Other” section header is not visible in the backend (where you define the fields) AND for now, unless you use some type of customization, there is no “Section header” field that you can add. At best, you could rename “Other” to something else should you want to.

Let me know if that is a bit clearer.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Najib Manea
    Participant

I may be miscommunicating my question. Allow me to try again. Where does the text “Additional Event Fields” in the attached image from your KB (https://theeventscalendar.com/content/uploads/2014/10/KB-Additional-Field-Values-665×171.png) come from?

Geoff B.

Good evening Chris,

Thank you for clarifying this. I now understand exactly what you are looking for.

I believe the simplest way to control that is by using the following: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/change-the-wording-of-any-bit-of-text-or-string/

Let me know how that goes.

Best regards,
    Geoff B.

Najib Manea
    Participant

Therein lies the problem. As I stated in my initial post, when I add additional fields, the edit screen shows no header text. I have attached a screenshot so you can see what I am referring to. There is only an empty h4 tag in the html.

How can I use the solution you suggested if no text is being generated?

Geoff B.

Hey Chris,

First off I want to apologize for the bumpy road to get to this point.

So let’s recap:

1. There is currently no section header in the backend for custom fields (which is a feature that was overlooked and for which I have opened a ticket)
    2. You would want to be able to add such a section header immediately and preferably be in control of how it reads
    3. Currently, since that feature does not exist, at best I can direct you to the file where you could add it in

The file in question is /wp-content/plugins/events-calendar-pro/src/admin-views/event-meta.php

Let me know if that helps.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Najib Manea
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. Now that I know which file it is in I see the problem. In the event-meta.php file on line 13 you are using esc_html() instead of esc_html_e(). I don’t want to change the core plugin files. Can I override the file in my theme? I tried doing so but it seems that the “admin-views” templates cannot be overridden in the same way that the “views” templates can.

I look forward to this bug being fixed.

Geoff B.

Good evening Chris,

You are absolutely right, this is what the issue is! Thank you for finding that.

Unfortunately at this point, your only option will be to update the core file as admin views don’t work with our template customization guidelines from our Themer’s guide.
    That being said, you will absolutely be informed as soon as the fix is out.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but for now it’s the best one I have.

Have a good week-end,

Geoff B.

Brook
    Participant

I just wanted to thank you once again for reaching out to us about this. We just released a new version of The Events Calendar and all of its addons that contains a fix for this.

Our blog post with the full details: The Events Calendar 4.1.4 and premium add-ons

We recommend updating as soon as you can to get the latest patches. Please let us know if this fixes the bug you have been experiencing or if you have any follow up questions. Thank you again!

– Brook

Najib Manea
    Participant

Thank you. The new version of PRO resolves the issue.

Geoff B.

Hey Chris,

I’m stoked that this works for you.
    Thank you once again for bringing this to our attention.

You are welcome back on our support forums any time 🙂

For now, I am going to close this thread.

Have a great week-end!

Geoff B.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Additional Field Edit Screen Section Header’ is closed to new replies.