Additional Editing in WP of Eventbrite Event

Home Forums Ticket Products Eventbrite Tickets Additional Editing in WP of Eventbrite Event

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brandon
    Participant

We are new users of Eventbrite and, so far, have done 1 import into Events Calendar from Eventbrite. This seemed to work well. However, there is additional information that we want to display on our event instance within WordPress that we do not want to show on the Eventbrite event (i.e. different formatting, usage of shortcodes, etc).

When I edit the event text within WordPress and update, it also updates the text on our Eventbrite event. I’m sure this will be useful for most situations, but sometimes it would be useful to only edit the event on WordPress without updating Eventbrite.

We don’t want to kill the link between Events Calendar and Eventbrite because we like having the ticketing embedded in our site.

Is there any way to edit the text of an event within WordPress which is linked to an Eventbrite event without actually editing the Eventbrite event as well?

Hopefully that all makes sense.

Barry

Hi Brandon,

That definitely makes sense but is not presently part of the Eventbrite Tickets feature set.

You are more than welcome to post this on our UserVoice channel, though, which will ensure it is evaluated for possible inclusion in a future release (you might even find a suitable existing request which you can up-vote to add your support).

This sort of functionality could potentially also be implemented with some custom development work and something like this – whether added as a custom plugin or to your theme’s functions.php file – might sit at the heart of such a customization:

add_action( 'plugins_loaded', 'inhibit_communication_with_eventbrite', 100 );

function inhibit_communication_with_eventbrite() {
    	// Do nothing if Eventbrite Tickets is not activated
    	if ( ! class_exists( 'Event_Tickets_PRO' ) ) return;

// Remove update callback
    	$callback = array( Event_Tickets_PRO::instance(), 'eventbrite_details' );
    	remove_action( 'tribe_events_update_meta', $callback, 20 );
    }

However, that’s only a starting point. To apply this on an event-by-event basis and make it easy to turn on and off would require additional work.

Thanks for getting in touch and please do consider posting a feature request 🙂

Brandon
    Participant

Thank you very much for this. Just a note, this wasn’t working for me using the plugins_loaded hook. I changed to use the wp_loaded hook and now it works as expected… any change I do to the event within WordPress does not update Eventbrite.

Is there a reason why this doesn’t work for plugins_loaded but does for wp_loaded? Is it somehow wrong or dangerous to use wp_loaded instead?

Barry

Ah, no, my fault.

I often recommend placing snippets in a theme’s functions.php file because, for most users, that’s an existing file and its the easiest path for them to follow (and of course it’s quite hard to get a sense of how technical a user might be in the space of a short forum exchange).

However in this case you’re quite right, it wouldn’t do anything, because functions.php won’t be loaded until after plugins_loaded fires. So apologies for the confusion on that one.

To use it as I posted it, it would actually have to live in a custom plugin (or must-use plugin). However, no, there isn’t any particular danger in switching to wp_loaded – so if that works for you I’d suggest sticking with it 🙂

Brandon
    Participant

Cool. Thanks for the help.

Barry

Pleasure!

I’ll go ahead and close out this topic – but if anything else crops up please don’t hesitate to post a new topic and one of the team will be only too happy to help 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Additional Editing in WP of Eventbrite Event’ is closed to new replies.