adding featured images

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO adding featured images

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lynden Jones
    Participant

I am having trouble with adding feature images at times. And also accessing the screen options (could be a javascript / jquery problem).
    I have disabled all addons, changed template but the issue still appears. This is the first time I have come across this.
    The site had no issues with adding feature images in the primary development stage (localhost) it has only been happening when I moved it to the server.

So I thought there might be an issue with the wordpress and plugin install so I created a new directory, new database and uploaded wordpress and installed all the plugins from scratch. I uploaded new images, added the pages and created menus. As yet I have not uploaded my theme so it is using the default. I loaded the events plugin and started to load a venue. I went to add the feature image and once again I am having the same issue.
    This is two wordpress installs having the same issue now.

It also seems that the drop downs on the form – recurrence, venue – calendar are not working correctly. When I select a venue from the dropdown the fields don’t disappear.

It also seems to be intermittent – all of a sudden it will start working again.

I have contacted the host and they say it’s the plugin. I am not so sure but I thought I would post here to see if you have come across this issue before.

Barry

I’m sorry you’re experiencing problems here.

Can you give some more information about what exactly is going wrong when you try to use featured images? I also appreciate you taking the time to run through our troubleshooting steps: can you confirm that with only our plugins and a default, unmodified theme you still came up against this problem?

Thanks!

Lynden Jones
    Participant

I have disabled all plugins and the problems still exisits. Do you have a link to your other troubleshooting steps. I have tried several different troubleshooting items before emailing.

Here are some links to screenshots of what I am experiencing.

Add featured image is not working on events and pages intermittently. It seems not to work for awhile then stops working.
    The screenshots show when it is working and when it isn’t. The problem when it isn’t working is there are not buttons to get back or make selection.

working: http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/mandab75/troubleshooting/set-featured-image-working.jpg

Not working: http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/mandab75/troubleshooting/set-featured-image-not-working.jpg

quick edit missing from events.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/mandab75/troubleshooting/quickedit.jpg

dropdown acting differently and calendar not coming up to select date.
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/mandab75/troubleshooting/dropdowns.jpg

Things I have tried:
    Clearing browser cache, cookies.
    Reinstalling wordpress from the updates menu
    Turning off all plugins and changing theme (problem still happens when all plugins are off and also if the theme is a wordpress default).

I am not experiencing this problem 100% of the time it seems to come and go. I will be working on adding an event and changing dates and then all of a sudden I am not able to use the calendars. It’s like it’s having trouble with me accessing the same thing over and over again.

All these things are showing up on my test server, I have only been having trouble when I moved the site to the live domain.

Barry

I have disabled all plugins and the problems still exisits. Do you have a link to your other troubleshooting steps. I have tried several different troubleshooting items before emailing.

Certainly, they are as follows:

• Ensure The Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO are up-to-date
    • Deactivate all other plugins
    • With those other plugins deactivated, additionally change your theme to a default and unmodified one – like Twenty Twelve
    • Now check to see if the problem still persists

It sounds like you have already run through these steps, pretty much, and have isolated this to issues on the live site. Given that and the sporadic nature of the problem my guess is that certain assets like Javascript and/or CSS files are not loading – are you comfortable using your browser’s development tools/console and can you use that to try and catch any 404 errors that might be coinciding with this problem? What I’m expecting here is that certain scripts the admin environment depends upon are failing to load.

In the case of the missing quick-edit link for instance, a good test (again I appreciate this sort of work isn’t everyone’s cup of tea) could be to look at the source and see if the link is present there. If it is, that would tend to bear out my theory and this may be an underpowered or overburdened hosting environment.

Lynden Jones
    Participant

Because I haven’t had this issue on localhost and I have also set up another sample on the backend of my own site. I do believe it is host related. I’m not sure what to tell them to take action because they want to blame the plugin. Any tips?

Barry

It’s a tricky one.

If you’re comfortable following the steps I outlined previously – and do indeed see that essential assets like Javascript files are failing to load and return 404 errors (even though the admin page itself may load) – then that to my mind basically means you are on a fairly shaky or overloaded hosting platform.

I would approach them – again, this is assuming my hunch is correct and you see the same thing as I have described with your browser’s dev tools – and point out that these are static files that are 404ing and they are doing so sporadically. If they can give a convincing reason as to why our or any other plugin would affect that it would be great to hear what they say.

Who is the host / what is the hosting plan – and are you in a position to try out a different provider, or do you have any further questions we might be able to assist with here?

I’m not sure in honesty what else we can suggest, but we can certainly leave this open if you want to bounce any feedback from your host off us.

Barry

This thread’s not seen much activity for the last couple of weeks so I’ll go ahead and close it. Of course if you still need help with this or any other issue please don’t hesitate to create a new thread (or threads) and one of the team will be only too happy to help. Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘adding featured images’ is closed to new replies.