Adding event instructions to the ticket email to attendee

Home Forums Ticket Products Event Tickets Plus Adding event instructions to the ticket email to attendee

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sonya
    Participant

I am not quite sure where to incorporate an additional message for an attendee that purchased a ticket.
    I know that when we select “Confirmed” on the sales transaction for the ticket, that will generate the tickets to be emailed to the customer (aka attendee).
    We have a bit of info that the attendee needs to bring to the training event and we would like this to be included in the email that the attendee receives.

on the most part, I would like this to be included on each email that is sent out to them.

How can we achieve this?
    Thanks!

Barry

Hi!

There are a several possibilities here ๐Ÿ™‚

Both our and WooCommerce’s templates can generally be overridden and customized – the decision you have to make first is which do you want to change?

On our side of things there is the actual tickets email and you can find the original in the-events-calendar/views/tickets/email.php – placing a copy in your theme (per the directions in our Themer’s Guide) will allow you to safely modify it and you could insert your extra information wherever you feel is appropriate.

Alternatively, you might want to modify the order confirmation email – if so, please refer to WooThemes’s own documentation to learn how ๐Ÿ™‚

Last but not least, you could make use of some hooks that live within those templates and actually avoid the need to setup a custom template, though you would instead need to add a short snippet to your theme’s functions.php file or somewhere else. Example:

[php]
    add_action( ‘tribe_tickets_ticket_email_bottom’, ‘tickets_email_custom_text’ );

function tickets_email_custom_text() {
    echo ‘Bring warm socks and a stout pair of shoes.’;
    }
    [/php]

I hope that gives you a few ideas to work with ๐Ÿ™‚

Sonya
    Participant

HI Barry – thanks so much. I appreciate all of the advice here. I will admit that I am so scared to make any code changes since I am still a newbie on WP coding etc. and I don’t want to mess up me actively working ticket functionality. I would love to delve into the first option making a copy of the “the-events-calendar/views/tickets/email.php” and place this into my theme folder theme/tribe-events/….(what area do I call this?)
    Also if I do this option, which line of code do I make the change to (rather add my text to?) I really want to learn this and get familiar with modifying my files as needed. Is there a video on this?

I suppose there is the “Last but not least” option. Do I modify this under -> dashboard/appearance/editor/Theme Functions (functions.php)?

Thanks, I look forward to hearing back.

Sonya
    Participant

I see that in the “-events-calendar/views/tickets/email.php” file there is a notation that reads:
    Override this template in your own theme by creating a file at [your-theme]/tribe-events/tickets/email.php

If I add this “email.php” file to my [your-theme]/tribe-events/tickets/email.php, What exactly will it do, will there be a change on my dashboard/events/ entry area?

Sorry to sound so lame, will this disturb any of the functionality of my present ticketing?

Will this reflect all events I have schedule or will it apply to tickets that I create moving forward?
    Thank you!

Barry

Hi Sonya,

If I add this โ€œemail.phpโ€ file to my [your-theme]/tribe-events/tickets/email.php, What exactly will it do, will there be a change on my dashboard/events/ entry area?

So if you add it and make no changes then – at least at first – you won’t notice any difference. However, behind the scenes it will be the new copy of the template that our plugin uses when it sends the ticket emails.

That means you can make your changes to the copy within your theme – [your-theme]/tribe-events/email.php – and if something goes disastrously wrong then all you need to do is remove it and The Events Calendar will once again use its own default version of the template.

That’s the reason we recommend setting up template overrides in this manner – it’s safer and easier to roll back when things go wrong ๐Ÿ™‚

You won’t see anything new in your dashboard, though, even after you customize the version of the template that lives within your theme.

Also if I do this option, which line of code do I make the change to (rather add my text to?)

I guess the question is, where do you want it to appear?

Assuming you want to place this information at the top of the tickets email, then add some new blank lines either immediately before or after this line:

<?php do_action( 'tribe_tickets_ticket_email_top' ); ?>

Then place your extra information in the newly available space.

I suppose there is the โ€œLast but not leastโ€ option. Do I modify this under -> dashboard/appearance/editor/Theme Functions (functions.php)?

You can certainly do it that way, but personally I don’t recommend it.

Should you inadvertently introduce a syntax error then you could potentially take down the entire site and lock yourself out of the admin environment – so it’s a high risk way of making changes. Instead, I would suggest using an FTP client and a suitable text editor: this will allow you to easily make a backup copy of the original functions.php file before you modify it and – should you introduce a critical error – you can easily fix it by FTP.

If that isn’t something you’re comfortable doing, of course, then it may not be the best option in your case … on the other hand, if you find setting up the template override to be easy enough then you are probably already using suitable tools ๐Ÿ™‚

I hope that helps – and good luck!

Sonya
    Participant

WHEW – I think I got it!
    This is great – thanks again.

Barry

Our pleasure ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll go ahead and close this topic, but of course if we can assist with anything else please don’t hesitate to create a new topic and one of the team will be only too happy to assist.

Thanks again!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Adding event instructions to the ticket email to attendee’ is closed to new replies.