Add widget area to Category pages

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Add widget area to Category pages

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kqed
    Participant

Hi – is it possible to add a widget area just to the Category archive pages? I couldn’t find a way to customize just those pages, rather than all of the archive pages.

For instance:
    http://ww2.kqed.org/arts/the-do-list/category/arts/theater/

Gustavo Bordoni
    Keymaster

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for reaching out to us man, glad to help you.

What I would suggest you is to use some thing the Widget Visibility JetPack add-on. If you don’t have JetPack installed I would say that you would be better with a simpler version of the plugin, since what you really need is that specific addon and JetPack brings a lot of baggage along it with.

I hope this solves your issue, If not, please don’t hesitate to reply and I will try to help you further.

My Best Regards,

kqed
    Participant

My question wasn’t about how to change widget targeting — it was about how to make a new widget area that only appears on the Events Category archive pages.

Gustavo Bordoni
    Keymaster

Hi Kevin.

Can you provide us what is the content of your current page.php and single.php, so that I can provide you a snippet with a possible solution to your problem.

Could you use the Gist from GitHub to share those files, and post a link here? Thanks a lot!

My Best Regards,

kqed
    Participant

We’re using a child theme of twenty fourteen, and haven’t modified page.php. Single.php is here:
    https://gist.github.com/kic00/58ab56837f103abf2c89

Gustavo Bordoni
    Keymaster

Hi Kevin,

So to accomplish that you can follow this tutorial on how to add a sidebar to your site, which is the widget area that you mentioned.

Judging by the code you sent me, you should add the “Step 3” of the tutorial I’ve sent you to the file sidebar-general.php. What you should do is wrap that code with a conditional like is_category to check if you are inside of the archive for that given category.

Don’t hesitate to reply if this didn’t solve your issue.

My Best Regards,

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘Add widget area to Category pages’ is closed to new replies.