Add to Google Calendar not working on events

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Add to Google Calendar not working on events

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Robbin
    Participant

The add to google calendar is not working in our Events Calendar Pro. We have the latest version 2.0.4.
    We are getting this error from Google:

414. That’s an error.
    The requested URL /calendar/event… is too large to process. That’s all we know.

Try this url on our site for testing: http://thecsr.org/event/clothed-with-the-sun-writing-autobiography-as-spiritual-journey/

muito obrigado!

Rob

Hey Robbin. Thanks for the note here. This is unfortunately a known issue with the current release; when titles or event descriptions are too long, they cannot be processed on the Google Calendar side. We’re working to fix this for 2.1 and will be re-engineering our iCal/Google Calendar integration quite a bit so the experience overall should be much improved.

I apologize I couldn’t offer up more in the interim, though. I would say if you can go shorter on the title/description (my guess is it’s the former in this case) it should be able to tide you over until official functionality is there.

Eric
    Participant

I had a similar problem where my event title had an “&”. Removing the “&” solved the issue for me.

Rob

Excellent to hear we’ve got that workaround available as needed. Thanks, Eric!

Eric
    Participant

Perhaps in the meantime, you could push a patch that truncates the event description, similar to how the calendar hover description is truncated. That would at least allow the event to pass to Google, and then the user could flesh out the event description. At the end of the day, the description is probably the least important part of the operation. What’s important is the time, date, location and title. Everything else, in my eyes, is gravy.

Rob

I’ll bring that up to the team, definitely; we don’t generally do hotfixes unless it’s a showstopping bug. That being said – let me see what we can do to get a similar patch in place, a short-term one, for 2.0.6 (which should be out over the next couple weeks). No guarantees but it’s worth a shot.

Ben
    Participant

Having the same issue. Would be great to have a patch soon.

Rob

Thanks Ben. We have been getting an increasing amount of reports on this so I suspect the fix will be within the next month or so. 2.0.6 is already in a code freeze since it’s releasing the first week of May, but let me see what I can do to get this added into 2.0.7/2.1 (as one of those two is the next release after).

Jeremy
    Participant

+1 for a fix. Thanks guys!

Rob

Thanks Jeremy. I see that this is in the pile for the 2.0.7 release, which is out the first week of June. We haven’t actually identified the issue yet so it’s not guaranteed but as long as we can figure out the issue these next couple of weeks as we get into dev…you should be all set. Thanks to everyone for being patient.

Andy Fragen

@Rob, take a look at the code I provided https://gist.github.com/2649910 in trying to answer Leading spaces in iCal . It will fix the issue for long event descriptions. It causes the description to truncate at 100 characters. It’s easy to see in the code where to change that. Also, if there is a problem for the event title it would be simple to modify the code to truncate that as well.

If anyone wants to try the code out for themselves just put it in your theme’s function.php file.

Andy Fragen

Oops, looks like that would only work if you add an ‘apply filters’ in the function googleCalendarLink () or replace

'details' => str_replace( ' ', '+', strip_tags( apply_filters( 'the_content', urlencode( get_the_content() ) ) ) ),

with

'details' => substr(str_replace( ' ', '+', strip_tags( apply_filters( 'the_content', urlencode( get_the_content() ) ) ) ), 0, 100),

More elegant solution might be to populate the $params array as you’ve done in function iCalFeed, add an apply filters after populating the array and change the array item similarly to the code in the gist above. Of course that means changing core files first. 😉

Andy Fragen

@Rob, etc.

Here’s the solution. I’ve tested and it works for me.

https://gist.github.com/2758724

You will need to add a single line to events-calendar-pro.php then add the other code to your theme’s functions.php file.

The fix will truncate your event description to 1000 characters. That works for Google.

Rob

This is excellent to hear, Andy! Thanks for providing us with this solution here. We were just discussing this issue earlier today and the possibility that a fix may need to be pushed to our July release if we can’t figure it out in time for the June (2.0.7) build. With your note here that may change the tides…I’ve passed this on to our dev and if he can verify that it’ll work across the board by code freeze next week, we’ll try to include this in the next build. Thanks again for the tip.

Would also be interested to hear from Ben, Jeremy or Robbin as to whether this method has done the trick for them.

Ben
    Participant

seems to work for me 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Add to Google Calendar not working on events’ is closed to new replies.