/add page working on localhost but not live server

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events /add page working on localhost but not live server

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    brocktoncg
    Participant

So I have the weirdest problem. My /add events page shows a listing of posts rather than the submit event form. I thought to trouble shoot it on my local machine and went to find the page was working perfectly.

I have deactivated plugins, changed themes and all that. No change, so what I think the issue may be, is that my local machine is running Apache and my live server is running nginx and that it may be a rewrite location issue, though I am not seeing anything in my config file to really change it so I am here asking if you may have any ideas or if you could look at it and see what you think.

If you want I can post my server config file for nginx and see if you may see something I don’t.

I appreciate any support. Thank you.

brocktoncg
    Participant

I have looked into it a bit more and have determined it is not using the page.php template instead it is using the index.php? Any ideas on how I can fix that?

Casey
    Participant

brocktoncg,
    Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear you’re having trouble here, but hopefully I can help. The ‘/add’ URL will only work if you have pretty permalinks enabled. Sometimes the WordPress re-write rules need to be reset in order to work correctly. You can do this by going to ‘Settings->Permalinks’ and verifying that your permalinks are set to anything but default, and then clicking ‘Save.’

Give that a shot and let me know if that solves the problem for you. Thanks! πŸ™‚

-Casey-

brocktoncg
    Participant

Hey there Casey!
    Thanks for the reply, I have done that several times with no luck. I have it set to /%postname%/
    Any other ideas?
    Thank you!

Casey
    Participant

brocktoncg,
    My only other thought might be that you have a post (or another item) with the same slug as your ‘Community’ re-write slug (screenshot). Can you confirm that’s not the case?

If that doesn’t resolve the issue, could you try updating your permalink structure to a multi-level permalink to troubleshoot further? Something like ‘Month and Name’ (/%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%/).

Give those suggestions a shot and let me know if we need to troubleshoot further. Thanks! πŸ™‚

-Casey-

brocktoncg
    Participant

Hey Casey,

I tried the multi-leveled permalinks and checked for anything else that may have the same slug. Neither produced results. Again I have this working fine on my localhost. Same DB, same files. The only difference is Apache vrs Nginx.

If you can supply any more troubleshooting aid for me that would be a huge help and I appreciate all you have done so far.

Thank you.

Casey
    Participant

brocktoncg,
    I just realized that you’re running version 3.1 of the plugin (current version is 3.5.2). Could you please upgrade to the latest version, so we can provide you with support? We’ve fixed many bugs since version 3.1, and it’s possible that this issue might have already been resolved with a later version. Give that a shot and let me know what you discover.

Thanks! πŸ™‚

-Casey-

brocktoncg
    Participant

Casey,
    I have updated the plugins and still yielded no results. Still the same issue.

Barry

Hi brocktoncg,

I’m sorry you’re facing difficulties here: Casey asked me to take a look at this as I had a test site running on Nginx to hand.

The first thing I’d note is, if pretty permalinks/rewrites are working generally on your WordPress site – and they seem to be – there is no particular reason that the Community Events pages wouldn’t work simply because you are using Nginx. Testing this for myself locally with Nginx as the web server, it all works as expected. Our configurations could certainly be different, though – perhaps you could share the relevant server_block via Pastebin/Gist so we could take a peek and see what you’ve put in place?

However, I suspect Nginx is something of a red herring here: when I try to view your community submission form we’re not seeing Nginx’s stock file not found error on the pages in question and the request is clearly being routed by WordPress (albeit it isn’t reaching its final destination) – that tells me the problem is most likely somewhere in the list of rewrite_rules maintained by WordPress itself.

I have deactivated plugins, changed themes and all that.

I fully appreciate you taking the time to do this but I’d like to ask that you try one more time and follow these particular steps in order:

• Ensure The Events Calendar and Community Events are up-to-date (looks like you noted having already done so)
    • Deactivate all other plugins including any mu-plugins, if any are set up, and take particular care if you have been using a caching plugin to ensure no caching side effects persist after deactivation (seek help from the relevant plugin author if this might be the case)
    • Switch to a default, unmodified theme – Twenty Twelve or Twenty Thirteen are perfect for this purpose
    • After doing this visit the Permalink Settings screen: you needΒ  change nothing, just visiting this page should cause the rewrite_rules list to be regenerated
    • Now try navigating to the relevant Community Events pages
    • Do you see them now?

If you do that would indicate that the problem is indeed the result of a conflict that occurred somewhere along the lines. If you still hit the same problem I’d love to know what you see (is it the usual WordPress 404 page, for instance? Right now for instance I notice we do not see a 404 page).

Let me know how you get on πŸ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘/add page working on localhost but not live server’ is closed to new replies.