Add categories to Venue pages

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Add categories to Venue pages

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Patrick
    Participant

I have a lot of weekly events at venues and wanted to arrange by category. I saw a thread from several years back about adding code to the function.php but didn’t see that as a file in the latest version, and was wondering what file now needs to be edited, and if there is code to add categories to venues specifically that doesn’t also call up individual events. If not I can just create separate categories so they don’t cross over, but if it is possible, even better!

George
    Participant

Hey Patrick,

Thanks for reaching out, and for checking with us about some recent code because, you’re right – code from a few years ago is likely not a good idea to put on your site! 🙂

The essence of this question is a customization, so there’s technically only limited support we can provide here – but I’m curious, for what you’re describing here, are you trying to make it so that venues themselves have categories?

Or are you trying to make it so that the Venue pages will display events of a specific event category related to that venue? In other words, relating existing Event Categories to specific venues, and then displaying things based on this relationship…

I’m sorry if neither thing is quite what you’re trying to do – in any case, elaborate a bit more on how things currently are, and then describe exactly how you want them to be instead. We can definitely at least point you in the right direction for implementing what you want here, and hopefully recommend some code to get you started!

Cheers,
    George

Patrick
    Participant

I want to give the venues themselves categories, so I can organize by county / area, as well as specific notes / types like “Has food” or “No kitchen,” “Late menu” “outdoor seating,” that sort of thing. Many of our events are similar, but venue distinctions would be the big difference.

George
    Participant

Hey Patrick!

Thanks for clarifying your goals here – unfortunately, what you’re aiming to do would require custom coding. We do not offer support for custom code here, but there are great resources online that should help you put something together here.

The main thing you need to do here is add meta fields to the Venues taxonomy – a meta field for “has food”, “No kitchen”, etc.

Search around online for ways to do this within WordPress, there are many resources. This article, for example, is particularly well put-together: https://pippinsplugins.com/adding-custom-meta-fields-to-taxonomies/

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns!

— George

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Add categories to Venue pages’ is closed to new replies.