Active blog menu issue with WooThemes Canvas theme

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Active blog menu issue with WooThemes Canvas theme

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sandie
    Participant

The issue
    ==========
    On selecting the events overview page (I’ve left it on the default /events/ currently) the blog menu (at /blog/) is also highlighted as an active menu selection. Selecting individual events also causes this problem.

The active menu issue doesn’t occur with the 2011 or 2012 theme, it does occur with a non-customised version of the canvas theme (v 5.3.0). Whilst I understand that you can’t be expected to help with everyone’s theme issues, since Canvas is WooTheme’s flagship product it’s fairly likely to affect a number of your potential customers, and I’m hoping you can therefore assist. I’ve searched the forums quite a bit, as I thought an answer was probably already available.

Setup information (numbered to ease replying)
    =============================================
    1. At this stage I’ve deselected ‘Include events in main blog loop?’, as I don’t know if it relates to the issue.
    2. The events and single URLs are set to the default ‘events’ and ‘event’.
    3. On the Design tab, a lot of the options didn’t look good, I’m currently using ‘full styles’ and the Canvas theme ‘default’ page.
    4. The issue is still apparent when selecting ‘Tribe Event Styles’ and the ‘Default Events Template’.

I’m working locally, what other information can I supply to help you understand the problem?

N.B. What WooThemes themes do you expect to routinely test against in the future, as this may guide my choice of theme/plugins for other sites?

Barry

Hi Sandie,

I’m going to move this across to our Events Calendar PRO forum in the first instance as this would not seem to relate directly to WooCommerce Tickets but rather be a general problem between The Events Calendar and Canvas.

Barry

Hi again Sandie,

It looks like the Blog menu entry is being treated as the parent of the currently active item. The main difference between Canvas and a default theme like Twenty Thirteen is that Canvas applies CSS rules to highlight the parent item whereas Twenty Thirteen does not (in other words, the same thing is actually happening – you just can’t see it).

I’m going to report this as a bug. In the meantime a possible but admittedly not-ideal workaround would be to add the following to Canvas > Theme Options > Display Options > Custom CSS:

ul.nav li.current_page_parent a { color: inherit }

Depending on whether or not you need active parent items in the menu to be highlighted that may or may not be viable for you, but might even form a temporary band-aid until we can investigate a substantive fix.

What WooThemes themes do you expect to routinely test against in the future, as this may guide my choice of theme/plugins for other sites?

WordPress’s own default themes will likely continue to be at the centre of our own testing efforts – we do look at other themes but realistically cannot spend quite as much time with them. That said, we do have an interest in Canvas and appreciate its popularity, so it may be that that attracts some extra attention.

Sandie
    Participant

Thanks for the response Barry. The CSS has certainly helped in that the issue is not as glaring, since it now only shows up as a lack of parent highlighting when within the Events pages. Can I assume that a fix should be in the next maintenance release, and do you have a ballpark date for that (I don’t know what schedule if any you work to)?

Barry

We typically try to deliver maintenance releases on a monthly basis. Following the launch of 3.0 it has been a lot more frequently than that – however it will quite likely settle down to once-per-month shortly.

We’ll certainly endeavour to include it in the next maintenance release if we can.

mhoefer
    Participant

I too have this issue with Canvas and ECPro. As suggested, as a workaround, I removed active item styling so the issue will not be seen but that comes at a bit of a usability cost. I hope that the EC devs can release a fix or work with the woo themes folks for a change on their end if needed.

Barry

Hi mhoefer, we’ve got this on our hit list and a forthcoming maintenance release should address it – thanks for your patience and support in the meantime 🙂

Barry

I just wanted to drop in that, after further investigation, there turns out to be a related issue on Trac (the bugtracker for WordPress itself) which at this time has been closed/marked as “Won’t fix”. So, at this time, the solution really is going to be a case-by-case solution for each affected theme until perhaps some future point where the behaviour of the WordPress menu walker is changed, unless something can more easily be achieved at theme level.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Active blog menu issue with WooThemes Canvas theme’ is closed to new replies.