900+ Anonymous Users in 5 Hours

Home Forums Calendar Products Community Events 900+ Anonymous Users in 5 Hours

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    markappeal
    Participant

Not sure what happened to my first post so I am posting again.
    I activated Community Events Add-On and within about 5 or so hours I had 900+ anonymous users signed up for my site with one being added every 3 or so minutes.
    Not sure if it was a bug or setting but I ended up having to complete delete the site to stop the adds.
    Deactivating the plug in would not even stop it.
    Please Advise

Casey
    Participant

markappeal,
    So sorry to hear about that! Hopefully I can help you out. Did you disable user registration on your site by going into ‘Settings’ and unchecking this box: http://screencloud.net/v/pk3W ?

markappeal
    Participant

Thanks for your reply
    Well open registration was turned off in the WordPress options
    And a separate security plugin called for both captcha and manual admin approval of all new registrations.
    Also “anonymous” user designation was only a setting in the Community Events plugin as WP only has Subscriber Contributor Author Editor and Admin

Casey
    Participant

markappeal,
    I guess I’m still confused. Could you help me understand your setup a bit more? If ‘Anyone can register’ is turned off in your WP Settings, why would you need a captcha and manual admin approval of registrations?

markappeal
    Participant

I do not NEED a captcha or manual admin. They are security settings that are part of a plugin. (All in One Security) Both of these options where on while the default “anyone can register” option was off. As this will be a community site and we are still in heavy development they will be used at a later time.

More importantly – why they are there is really immaterial to the problem at hand. Which is in-spite of the security options turned on and the register option turned off – The CE addon created the “anonymous” designation and then preceded to systematically add “anonymous” users every few minutes even AFTER being deactivated.

Which to me says two things. While the security features seem to work in normal sign up situations the CE addon seems to bypass those features in some way ( which not necessarily your problem) the other is that it SEEMS to be a serious bug in the add on – which is a MT problem that I am trying to address.

markappeal
    Participant

This reply is private.

Casey
    Participant

This reply is private.

Casey
    Participant

markappeal,
    I just wanted to check back in and see if you’re still having issues here. Just let me know and we can continue to investigate, otherwise I’ll go ahead and close out this thread. Just let me know! Thanks so much!

-Casey-

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘900+ Anonymous Users in 5 Hours’ is closed to new replies.