643 404 errors in Google Webmaster Tools

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO 643 404 errors in Google Webmaster Tools

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    pdelite
    Participant

Hello, we’re seeing 643 404 errors in Google webmaster tools as a results of this events calendar plugin. Here are the plugins installed on the site:
    Disable comments
    Google Analytics for WordPress
    Login Logo
    Redirection
    The Events Calendar
    The Events Calendar PRO
    Total Backup
    Wordpress SEO
    WP Customer Reviews
    WP Super Cache
    We do not want to nofollow the events calendar, we’d like to resolve the issue instead.

pdelite
    Participant

Also, in the past, I did some digging in this forum and implemented the following fix for the functions.php file:
    //Added to work around the issue with Events Calendar Pro returning 404 titles.
    if( function_exists(‘avoid_404_event_titles’)){
    function avoid_404_event_titles() {
    global $wp_query;

if (property_exists($wp_query, ‘tribe_is_event’) && $wp_query->tribe_is_event && $wp_query->is_404)
    $wp_query->is_404 = false;
    }

add_action(‘template_include’, ‘avoid_404_event_titles’, 1);
    };
    …and…
    I’ve also added the single-day.php file in the following path:
    MY-THEME/tribe-events/month/single-day.php
    However, I’m still seeing the page not found reference in the title here: http://www.seniornestreferrals.com/events/2013-09-13/ and now the ical Import Day’s events button is displaying a File not found error as you can see here:
    http://www.seniornestreferrals.com/events/2013-09-13/?ical=1&tribe_display=day

The errors were not displaying in webmaster tools and now they are, so clearly this fix didn’t work.

pdelite
    Participant

Shouldn’t support be first come first serve? I see lots of requests submitted after mine that have been answered by support. This many 404’s is not exactly a ‘low urgency’ issue.

Barry

Hi pdelite, sorry for the delay however if I can draw your attention to the forum overview sticky it can take 24-48hrs before we reply to requests for support, not counting weekends. We also have a number of different team members each with slightly different focuses and so it’s not always the case that we can rigidly answer each forum thread in strict order of when they were posted.

The 404 issue is one we’re aware of and beyond the fixes I think you have already found on the forum further work has been done to tackle this and should be available as of our next maintenance release, due shortly.

Hope that helps – and thanks for your continued support and patience 🙂

Ryan Sedgwick
    Participant

Hi, I currently have (since we updated about 8 weeks ago) 42,986 404 not found errors in Google Webmaster tools. I can’t seem to get rid of them. I’ve updated the Pro version to the latest release – Version 3.1 and running WordPress version 3.7. Do you know how long it will be before this issue is fixed? I’m due to renew the license key for this plugin, but reluctant to do so with all the hassle it’s causing and no definitive date or urgency around the issue from Modern Tribe.

Barry

Hi Ryan,

A fix is in the works and should be delivered within the next couple of maintenance release. We have a release which should be sent out in the near future – unfortunately though we can’t commit to a specific date.

Ryan Sedgwick
    Participant

Disappointing. I would have thought an error like this would have been a top priority for the Events Calendar Pro. After all, it worked fine before it was updated to the latest version.

The next question is, whilst 404’s are flooding Google Webmaster tools, will this have a negative impact on my website? I’ve been working on improving our presence in the SERPs over the past 18 months and don’t want to see this go to waste, or should I look for an alternative calendar plugin?

Barry

Hi Ryan,

I can understand your anxiety here: it’s certainly not a low priority, but we have finite resources and it can take time to develop a solution we feel will work well going forward, test and release it – bearing in mind we also have to fit in numerous other bug fixes and feature requests and develop and test those, too.

How much of an impact this might have isn’t something we can advise you on and it goes without saying we’d be disappointed if you chose an alternative calendar plugin. We are close to releasing the next maintenance release, though, so perhaps it would ultimately save you effort to wait for and assess that?

Ryan Sedgwick
    Participant

Thanks for your response Barry. For now, I will stick with the current plugin, but would hope that this is resolved by the end of 2013 at the latest, otherwise I have no option but to drop Events Calendar Pro in Q1 next year.

pdelite
    Participant

I agree, this issue has been going on for quite sometime now and the payoff of using the plugin versus an increasing number of 404 errors in webmaster tools doesn’t make sense to continue using the plugin beyond this year.

Barry

Ryan, pdelite and indeed anyone interested in this issue – we very much appreciate your support here and just like you we hope to bring this well under control in the near-term.

Right now though there isn’t much we can do for you, so what I’d suggest we do is wait for the next maintenance release and re-evaluate at that point: for that reason I’ll go ahead and close this thread – but if you hit further issues once the next release arrives please don’t hesitate to let us know.

Thanks!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘643 404 errors in Google Webmaster Tools’ is closed to new replies.