3.11.1, not importing Organizer

Home Forums Calendar Products Event Aggregator 3.11.1, not importing Organizer

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    media325
    Participant

I believe this issue started last night. When importing facebook events the organizer field is not being populated in the event. No organizer is shown.

George
    Participant

Hey @media325,

Sorry to hear about this trouble on your site – when you mention “3.11.1”, do you mean that’s your version of The Events Calendar itself? If so, what version is currently active on your site for the Facebook Events Importer add-on specifically?

Thank you!
    George

media325
    Participant

Thanks. The FB importer is v 3.11.1 as well

media325
    Participant

have you been able to duplicate the issue?

George
    Participant

Hey @Media325,

I have indeed reproduced this problem, I fail to get Organizers from several different pages.

I’m very, very sorry about this bug – it could be related to a recent API change on Facebook’s end or something, but we’ve flagged this bug and will investigate (and fix it) as soon as possible.

I’m really sorry about the inconveniences from this! Stay tuned for further updates here.

— George

media325
    Participant

Thank you.

George
    Participant

Stay tuned!

media325
    Participant

Any idea on an update? I have about 150 organizers so I haven’t updated events in almost a week. Which is defeating the purpose of an events calendar. Thanks

George
    Participant

Hey @media325,

We’re indeed working on the update – keep an eye on the “Updates” section of your WordPress admin. As soon as the update is published, it will show up there and you can install it in one click.

Your patience is greatly appreciated – please stay tuned to updates and check the “Changelog” of each udpate to see if a fix for this has arrived. We’re getting it into the code as soon as possible!

Cheers,
    George

media325
    Participant

Two weeks to correct a bug in a plugin that effectively renders the plugin useless is entirely too long.

George
    Participant

Hey @media325,

The organizer field DOES WORK for many users – when we tested this ourselves, even for two out of three developers the organizer field worked, but for me and one other developer we encountered issues like yours.

It is a complicated bug to resolve, which relies on the Facebook API which is a third-party API (i.e., not our own codebase, so it takes longer to work with this and to test, etc.).

I’m sorry you’re not satisfied here. However, lease do keep in mind that:
    a) We work on a release schedule. We do not just derail our entire release cycles for one little bug unless we find a serious security flaw and issue an emergency patch to users to minimize security flaws.
    b) This bug does not reliably show up. Some times, for some users, it does, but most of the time, for most users, it does not.
    c) Literally every other feature of the plugin works.

So please, please be patient. We are working hard on this issue and if we could just snap our fingers to fix something, we would! 😀 I assure you that it is more complex than that, and also that we are working on this bug and take it seriously.

In the meantime, surely importing every other detail from Facebook is still better than manually adding all the events, no? Do you have all of your organizers in WordPress already?

— George

media325
    Participant

The organizer field DOES WORK for many users – when we tested this ourselves, even for two out of three developers the organizer field worked, but for me and one other developer we encountered issues like yours.

A program doesn’t selectively work. It works or doesn’t work based on criteria. Environment from the server configuration to the browser and everything in-between, data input, application code as well as apis are all part of that criteria.

This bug does not reliably show up. Some times, for some users, it does, but most of the time, for most users, it does not.

By definition that is what makes it a bug.

Literally every other feature of the plugin works.

So I understand this I’ll use an analogy.

You George, just bought a new car because you’ll be traveling for business. You’ll be spending hours on the road and driving to locations you’re not familiar with.

The navigation and entertainment system stop working. The dealer doesn’t know when it will be fixed. “It could be the third party software that our software integrates with, but it does work for some people” and “Literally every other feature of the car functions”

You’re good with that? And you’ll happily wait for them to contact you and let you know when they’ll be able to fix it?

I have been patient and pleasant. I don’t appreciate being spoken to condescendingly.

Since you’ve asked. Currently I have about 150 organizers, more are added as they become available, that’s part of the business model.

When importing 20-30 events per day it does take quite a bit of time to associate organizers with events. It’s not simply editing each of those events it’s also determining which organizer is involved with the event as it’s not always clearly indicated in event title or description.

George
    Participant

Hey @media325,

I’m sorry you found my tone condescending, that is far from my intention. My intention is simply to share the current state of things accurately. I unfortunately don’t have a whole lot more to share than what was written in my reply above, but I’d like to address a point of yours specifically:

A program doesn’t selectively work. It works or doesn’t work based on criteria.

This is not true.

In one very local instance of a bit of code, “it works or it doesn’t” may be true. For example, if a variable is set to “true”, and you check for whether that one variable is “true” or “false”, then it will be “true” or “false” period regardless of other criteria.

However, you’re talking about a plugin here, which is a complex system nestled within a bunch of other complex systems. Here’s an idea of some of the moving parts involved with the Facebook Importer plugin:

• The Facebook Importer plugin code itself.
    • The code of your theme.
    • The code of every other plugin on your site.
    • The entire codebase of WordPress itself.
    • The private codebase of Facebook which serves up the API for our Importer plugin to use.
    • The hosting and server configuration that your site is operating on.
    • The version of PHP your site is running.

Each thing there is a potential place for something to go wrong; for some weird bug to arise; for some conflict to happen. It’s a lot of surface area for complex interaction, with lots of room for things to go wrong.

We want to fix this bug as badly as you want it to be fixed, whether you believe us on that or not. However, as I tried to illustrate above, things are complex, and we have an entire stable of many plugins that all have other bug fixes and tweaks that were scheduled before this one.

You’re good with that? And you’ll happily wait for them to contact you and let you know when they’ll be able to fix it?

No, I don’t expect you wait “happily” here. I understand and empathize with your frustrations and have been in your shoes before with WordPress software and, ironically, even cars and such. It is not a fun place to be, and even if you think my writing to you is condescending or something, I am genuinely sorry about the existence of this bug and the implications it has for you and your business.

We are working on it: that’s unfortunately the best news I have at this time.

I’m happy to keep this thread open and you can voice more anger here as much as you’d like; it’s only fair, and I hate it when software has bugs, so no worries. Please do understand that immediacy is not the only sign of concern, and while we cannot fix everything overnight, we are determined to fix this and will publish an update as soon as this is fixed.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The topic ‘3.11.1, not importing Organizer’ is closed to new replies.