2 different list views – how?

Home Forums Welcome! Pre-Sales Questions 2 different list views – how?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Z Dvornik

Hi guys

We try to decide to buy and use this component or start something from scratch. Our main issue is that based on the design, we need 2 kinds of list view/agenda layout (one for an annual view of events, one is for upcoming x number of events by categories). The 2 layout looks quite different.

Since we need 2 list views, we believe we would need to create some kind of custom list view. Is there a way to create a custom list view so as it will work with the filter bar?

We tried to find information online on the “how to”, but we had little luck. If there is a way to create a custom view, can you please describe me the basics of how to do it?

Thanks
    Z.

Geoff

Hey there and thanks for getting in touch!

You can absolutely create your own calendar templates — whether it’s customizing an existing one using a template override (more on this in our Themer’s Guide) or it’s creating a new theme template altogether and constructing it with your own custom query or using our tribe_get_events() function as a methods for fetching event content and info. Either of those methods will allow you to create your own layout, whether it’s using one of the existing templates as a blueprint or building one from scratch.

Does that help answer your question?

Cheers,
    Geoff

Z Dvornik

Geoff

Thank you for your quick answer!

Just to make sure, one more question: can the filter bar add-on work together with a custom built template?

Thanks again
    Z

Geoff

Thanks for following up!

Good question. I think it would be possible. In fact, I recall a blog post from some time ago where a customer had added it to their homepage. However, it would take a fair amount of customization to make it work that I’m afraid we wouldn’t be able to support here in the forums.

Thanks!
    Geoff

Z Dvornik

Geoff,

That sounds complicated.
    Is there an other way maybe? If we only need to filter the events by categories and by a date range and nothing else (no search, no venues, no distance etc), do you think there is an other / easier way to go, maybe without the Filter Bar?

Thanks
    Z

Geoff

Hey Z,

I’m afraid that is the easiest way I can think of. Admittedly, Filter Bar was not designed with portability in mind, but I have seen it moved into other places with the customization I mentioned.

Sorry that’s probably not what you were looking for, but I hope it at least helps answer your question.

Thanks,
    Geoff

Z Dvornik

Geoff

Just not to misunderstand what you say:
    1) There is absolutely no way to display (filter) events by categories (one or more) using only the calendar plugin. The tribe_get_events() function doesn’t work for categories. There is no function or anything like that available in the “normal” calendar plugin to filter the events by categories. So one must buy the Filter plugin.

2) With the filter plugin it is a huge work to make a custom view working.

Is this a fair summary or do I misunderstand something?

Thanks again!
    Zsolt

Geoff

Hey there, Zsolt! Thanks for following up.

1) There is absolutely no way to display (filter) events by categories (one or more) using only the calendar plugin. The tribe_get_events() function doesn’t work for categories.

The tribe_get_events() filter does support categories. You can query events by a specific category.

2) With the filter plugin it is a huge work to make a custom view working.

Yes, I would say that is true for sure.

Cheers!
    Geoff

Geoff

Hi Zsolt! I see one of my earlier answers was marked as the correct reply. I’ll go ahead and close this thread but please feel free to let us know if any other questions pop up and we’d be happy to help. 🙂

Cheers,
    Geoff

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘2 different list views – how?’ is closed to new replies.