1,000s of 404 errors caused

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO 1,000s of 404 errors caused

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Micha McLain
    Participant

I have a site http://www.jacksonvillefilmworkshops.com that is having a lot of 404 errors. My google webmaster tools just listed well over 1000 404 pages. Almost every one of them is “events/YYYY-MM-DD/” format.

How do I get these to not cause 404 errors? robots.txt maybe? If so, what rule do I need to add?

Thanks.

Brook
    Participant

Howdy teammultiverse,

Our plugin adds a <meta> tag to each of those pages that tells Google not index them. Unfortunately some other plugins, mostly SEO ones, strip that meta tag out and cause these sorts of issues.

On rare occassion this snippet is able to override the SEO plugins and add the meta tag back. Try adding that snippet to your theme’s functions.php file, and view the source of one of the 404 pages to see if it has a noindex meta tag.

If that did not work, is it possible for you to disable the SEO plugin? Unfortunately it is causing you to have bad SEO in this case. Or perhaps does that plugin have optiosn about stripping out meta tags? If so disable those. Or maybe you can tell that plugin to ignore the ‘tribe_events’ post type? These are all things that you will have to consult that plugin author for.

Does that all make sense? Did that snippet work for you? Please let me know. Cheers!

– Brook

Micha McLain
    Participant

I’d rather not add code if it’s a setting that can be changed. I’m using Yoast’s SEO plugin. Does that have the ability to stop doing this?

Brook
    Participant

Howdy teammultiverse,

I am not sure if Yoast does or not. I am really not qualified to answer questions abotu their plugin. 🙁

The easiest possible fix is definitely adding that snippet. I totally understand if you are a bit trepid about it, and it is up to you. But here is a detailed guide on how to it, it is fairly easy:

Paste it at the top of your theme’s functions.php file, underneath the first line “<?php” on a blank/empty line. If your theme does not have a functions.php file, go to your theme folder, create a new text document file called “functions.php”, and paste this text in the first line of the file “<?php”. On line 2 or 3, paste that snippet.

I hope that helps. Please let me know what you decide. Thanks!

– Brook

Micha McLain
    Participant

Thanks bud. I’ll just add the function. I appreciate your time. I’ll let you know if it doesn’t work for some reason. 🙂

Brook
    Participant

That sounds great. If you do not mind letting me know the result either way, or marking this topi resolved, we do appreciate it. That helps keep our forum organized and for us to know that we are not accidentally forgetting anyone. Have a great day teammultiverse!

– Brook

Micha McLain
    Participant

I will… but I don’t know how to check to see if it’s fixed other than just seeing if google picks up those 404’s again.

Brook
    Participant

Good question! Go to one of those pages, basically they are pages where there are no results. So if you go to a month that has no events for instance, or a Day or a Week.

Now, view the source of your page. Generally near the top of the page source you will see the <meta> tags. If it worked one of them will be:<meta name="robot" content="noindex,follow" />

Or very similar to that. If you see a similar one, please post it here so I can examine it and explain it to you. If it worked, would you mind marking this topic resolved? Thanks! 

– Brook

Micha McLain
    Participant

I have exactly that.

<meta name=”robots” content=”noindex,follow”>

inside the header. The page pulled up and didn’t show a 404 on the front end either.

Thanks for all the help bud!

Brook
    Participant

Awesome! Very happy we got this resolved.

I wish Yoast did not conflict with our plugin like this. We have done all we can to make it compatible. Unfortunately Yoast’s indiscriminate removal of <meta> tags causes issues like this. It is based on the assumption that those tags are not wanted, but that is a false assumption in some rare cases like this one. I am glad that snippet worked for you and made the two plugins fully compatible!

If you have a minute or two, we would love it if you could write a few words about the plugin here. Happy developing!

– Brook

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘1,000s of 404 errors caused’ is closed to new replies.