Translation: formal vs. informal

Home Forums Additional Help Translations Translation: formal vs. informal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Oliver
    Participant

Hi Leah,

last year we discussed about that the German translation of TEC is informal, but inside the WordPress translation system it’s set to informal:

Hiya folks I am one of the plugin…

I guess you needed to make some changes inside TEC.
    Is there any process on this?

Best regards,
    Oliver

Geoff B.

Good afternoon Oliver and welcome back!

Thank you for reaching out to us.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

Unfortunately, my colleague Leah is out of the office for some very well deserved vacations.
    The good news however is that I am on point for all translation related duties.

I have asked our senior staff on the best way to go about this, but we might have to wait for Leah’s return to get a complete answer.

Thank you for your patience while I enquire about this.

Have a good week-end,

Geoff B.

Barbara
    Participant

Hi Oliver,

I am translation editor for the Dutch translation files and have asked this before… As in NL we also have a formal and informal way to address people.

I have made this case before: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/how-formal-do-you-want-to-address-your-users-dutch-translations/#post-1054030

I most definitely would suggest going ‘informal’ as this is in line with many other plugins. However, in NL it’s more common to address other people informally rather than formally. Don’t know what the case is in Germany.

Barbara
    Participant

(Hmm… Can’t seem to edit my posts anymore, so here goes another reply)

Just to clarify: for NL translation files, I have mostly eradicated the formal way of addressing the plugin users (both admin and end-user) and changed it to the informal way, in response to the thread posted above.

Geoff B.

Good evening Hans,

Thank you for pitching in with valuable insight. It is super appreciated.

Full disclosure, the 4.3 release has kept us fully busy and I have not been able to drive this one home like I wanted to last week. But I should be able to do that this week.

So stay tuned!

Best regards,

Geoff B.

Oliver
    Participant

Hi Geoff,

to avoid that this ticket is closed automatically I’m asking if there is any progress on the topic?

Regards,
    Oliver

Geoff B.

Hey Oliver, that is a great question.

We have been working hard at improving all our translation related matters over the last couple of months. It’s been quite the journey so far and we did make some pretty good progress which we can build on moving forward. But, we have met some unexpected challenges along the way.

Currently we are working on making sure that the language files packaged with the plugins are in Sync with Glotpress.

Once that is done we should be able to give your request the attention it truly deserves.

Thank you for your incredible patience as we try to solidify and simplify translation related requests.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Oliver

Hi Geoff,

just before the bot comes around the corner the question: any news on this topic? 😉

Best regards,
    Oliver

Geoff B.

Hey Oliver,

Wow! I want to apologize for not seeing your update sooner (I am not sure how that happened).

To answer your question, upon further investigation, we have very limited ability to impact that aspect 🙁

It looks like only PTE or GTE from Glotpress have such power. I wish I had a better answer for you, but for now it’s the best one I have.

In the meantime, in case that helps, I know some of our users will block auto-updates of strings (to prevent the formal or informal versions overwriting their preferred choice): https://wpml.org/forums/topic/updating-translation-changes-german-formal-to-informal/#post-768489

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Translation: formal vs. informal’ is closed to new replies.