Help Desk

Translation

  • Posts: 2 Topics: 2
    | Permalink

    Just for the base plugin we have 6 lang and languages folders containing .pot .po and .mo.

    Of course we would think that there only one file that contains all translation ( /lang at the plugin’s root). And i think it’s the case,
    but then we see that words translated in this very file are not translated on the website (see screenshots) and the same goes for the event calendar extensions (pro & filters in my case).

    So with poedit you can update the .po with the .pot in order to add the latests word references, it adds some words (but not all).

    So between 56 translation files per langage, partial translations everywhere, .po not updated, .pot sometimes showing errors (current main .pot is making poedit crash when used to update a .po with multiple references for the same word or whatever), and actually missing références at all.
    I wonder this forum is not full of people from all over the world crying about their half local/half english event calendar.
    Even if you wan’t to translate it yourself, you can’t.

    Plus I’m getting lost in remembering which word is missing for which reason.

    So here is a screenshot showing the missing references. I know for a fact that there are others (“All %s (events)”) where non-translatable too. But i managed to simply get rid of it via the themer so I can’t really show you.

    Anyway, I think there is a big work to do your .pot files to make sure no words are missing (nor doublons).

    Is there anyway to use my translation and not loose them at every update ?

    I’m sending you my own .po for fr_FR if ever you want to use them (desktop.zip)

    Posts: 2 Topics: 2
    | Permalink

    I have an update :

    after making sure i was using the right .po in the right folder
    that is was translated or that I translated it myself
    that the .po was updated according to the latest .pot (repair the .pot before update the .po if broken)

    I forgot to delete the /wp-content/language/plugin folder to reset cache.
    Once i did that, almost everything works BUT “event category” on the filter bar (see previous screenshots)

    Posts: 10005 Topics: 1
    | Permalink

    Good evening Pierre and welcome back!

    Thank you for reaching out to us and kudos for finding the culprit (the /wp-content/languages/ folder. For the record, files found there will always override any other language file.

    Aside from that folder (and its /plugins/ sub-folder), you will typically only need to worry about the /lang/ folder of each plugin.

    I would love to help you with this topic.

    The filter bar string is translatable directly in Events -> Settings -> Filters (see screenshot)

    Let me know how that goes.

    Best regards,
    Geoff B.

     

    Posts: 65
    | Permalink

    Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

    Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

    | Permalink

The topic ‘Translation’ is closed to new replies.