Help Desk

Template overrides for the filter bar

If I wish to override the default template files contained in the plugin’s ‘views’ folder, where do I put the override files in my theme? There are no instructions in the files themselves.

We’ve got some pretty comprehensive instructions in the Themer’s Guide so that is well worth reading in the first instance, and we have tutorials and technical docs that may cover anything beyond that you might be interested in:

Does that help?

No, there is no information in any of those pages about where to put overrides for the FILTER BAR.

The “Filter Bar documentation” link on the bottom of the Filter Bar New User Primer (https://tri.be/support/documentation/filter-bar-new-user-primer/) goes to the main documentation menu, where Filter Bar is not listed. Is there documentation for the Filter Bar that can be found somewhere?

No, there is no information in any of those pages about where to put overrides for the FILTER BAR.

You’re right, but it basically follows the same pattern as every other plugin – with a slight different in this case insofar as the templates aren’t namespaced. To give you a real life example, you would might simply copy views/filter-bar-vertical.php (from the plugin directory) across to tribe-events/filter-bar-vertical.php (within your theme directory).

We’ll try to improve the docs in this regard, but does that give you enough to work on for the time being?

The “Filter Bar documentation” link on the bottom of the Filter Bar New User Primer (https://tri.be/support/documentation/filter-bar-new-user-primer/) goes to the main documentation menu, where Filter Bar is not listed. Is there documentation for the Filter Bar that can be found somewhere?

That seems to have been linked up prematurely – and those docs have not yet been generated. Apologies for that, that was completely our fault.

I’ve made a note on the issue tracker so this should be done in due course (though, the technical docs are simply generated from comments within the plugin code – so effectively you have access to the same information already which is geared toward developers) and I’ve removed that note from the new user primer so as not to trip up other users.

So a big thank you for reporting that!

Do you have any other questions re Filter Bar customizations/the mechanics of overriding those templates?

Looks like you have no further questions! Closing the thread – thanks again!