Style child categories differently to parent categories in filter

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar Style child categories differently to parent categories in filter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Yoni
    Participant

Hi

I have categories and sub categories. In the filter bar I see that all the categories look like they are on the same level except that sub categories have to spaces at the front so they are ever so slightly indented.

Is there a way to style parent categories differently to child categories so that they are more distinguishable?
    I see that there is no CSS class to differentiate them so presumably I would need to customise template a bit? If so maybe you can point me in the right direction as to which template and which line?

Geoff B.

Good evening Yoni and welcome back!

Thank you for reaching out to us.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

You are absolutely right, there are no CSS classes available for that purpose.
    As such, your best bet would be to use a template customization.

You might want to read our Themer’s guide to get a sense of how that works.

Basically you just need to make a copy of the view you are interested in modifying and place it in a /tribe-events/folder in your WordPress theme.

In your case that would probably be /tribe-events/filter-bar.

Let me know if that helps.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Yoni
    Participant

Hi Geoff

Thanks very much. I’ll get a developer to apply the changes based on your instructions.

A slightly different question but I’ll post it on the same thread because it also relates to the way the category selector on the filter bar display so its kind of connected: I would like to control the order in which categories are shown in the filter bar. I think its currently alphabetical but I would like to override this.

How would you suggest I go about it? Is it the same story as your previous answer in that I need to customise the /tribe-events/filter-bar template?

Geoff B.

Hey Yoni,

Thank you for writing back.

That is a great question. The answer is it depends.

If you are looking for a different order that only impacts the filter bar, then yes, your best approach is to use a template customization (as mentioned in the previous answer).

However, if you want to have a different event category order all throughout your site, then a really easy solution is to use a plugin such as: https://wordpress.org/plugins/intuitive-custom-post-order/

This will let you drag and drop the event categories in any sequence you like.

Let me know if that helps.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Style child categories differently to parent categories in filter’ is closed to new replies.