Search bar – additional fields and different date search

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar Search bar – additional fields and different date search

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Christofer
    Participant

Hey there, sorry I have another question regarding the filter bar. I have purchased the additional filter bar plugin. I have a list view from the events calendar where I show upcoming events.

My first question: is it possible to change the way the filtering for date works? In the list view, I can search for a special day and then I am getting all upcoming events. But I need to search monthly – like show all events in February (like the search for date in a month view – but I need it for the list view). How can I change that?

The second question: The search field works very good – but I have a custom field for actors and what they are playing in the concerts – I need the search field also to work for values from this custom field. Can I add that somewhere or what do I need to do to include it in search?

Thanks for your help,
    with nice regards

Christofer
    Participant

I just want to add that I have not th events calendar PRO – just the basic one, but I purchased the events calendar – filter bar.

With nice regards, Lisa

Josh
    Participant

Hey Cristofer,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

For your first question, showing the full month of events in list view, I’m not sure there is a set way for handling this. You could modify the datepicker to select a month rather than a set date, however the posts per page would be limited to 10 posts by default (or whatever your global setting is). With this, you would sometimes have events showing outside that month or not all of the events showing.

For the search by field, the simplest approach would be to somehow utilize the event categories to allow for filtering by this additional information. If not, you could look into a plugin such as https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-fields-search/ to help in expanding what that default WordPress search uses.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks!

Christofer
    Participant

Hey Josh, thanks for the reply.

I didnt get the answer for the second question – I didnt know what to do here (“somehow utilize the event categories to allow for filtering by this additional information”).

I rewrite the szenario: I have a list with events (concerts) and at the top your classic search field which works very good for the basic fields which where provided from the events calendar (like description, date, author etc.). But I also have a custom field for actors which I added with wordpress´ custom fields in the backend. If I search know for an artist, nothing is found. So how can I include this field in your events calendar search field? I don´t want to filter, just include it in the given search. So do I have to register the custom field somehow so that the events calendar recognizes it and includes it in the search?

With nice regards

Josh
    Participant

Hey Christofer,

Sorry for the confusion there. I was assuming you were looking for a filter based solution for the custom field there.

To have the default search include searching of custom fields, you could try a plugin such as https://wordpress.org/plugins/search-everything/ to bring a little more power to that search field.

THanks!

Christofer
    Participant

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the answer! I was looking at this plugin, but still my question is how can I link from the search field of the events calendar with this plugin? Can I still use your search from modules/bar.php? Or do I have to skip that and use the one from the plugin? Sorry but I really need assistance here ^^

And regarding one of the initial first questions – changing the date search to search for months in list view instead of days – you answered:
    “…You could modify the datepicker to select a month rather than a set date…” – how can I achieve that? Where do I have to make changes here?

Sorry for all the questioning, but it is really a little bit hard to find and understand in the code ^^

Josh
    Participant

Hey Christofer,

To start, I would like to set expectations for customizations such as these. We’re happy to help point you in the right direction for some of these. However, many times we aren’t able to give full snippets or full details on how a customization could be accomplished.

For the search feature, the simplest approach may be to disable the search bar within the Event Settings > Display tab and use the classic header. You could then use the “‘tribe_events_bar_before_template'” filter to add a new search form or the necessary form from the search everything plugin.

For modifying the format there, take a look at the tribe-events.js file at the “tribe_ev.data” and the “datepicker_formats”. You can copy this file into your theme and modify the “main” to match the “month” there. From there you can dequeue the plugin’s version of this file and enqueue your modified one.

Thanks!

Support Droid
    Keymaster

This topic has not been active for quite some time and will now be closed.

If you still need assistance please simply open a new topic (linking to this one if necessary)
    and one of the team will be only too happy to help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Search bar – additional fields and different date search’ is closed to new replies.