Not everything is translated while the data is in the .po / .mo files

Home Forums Additional Help Translations Not everything is translated while the data is in the .po / .mo files

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    crystalparknewmedia
    Participant

Hi,

I have some untranslated strings. Like “Previous Events” & “Next Events”, and some others here and there. Funny thing is that I checked the po/mo’s in the plugin end in de PRO add-on… there the strings are translated.

Running latest WP, latest plugin and latest PRO add-on. No funny additional plugins, checked on clean twenty fourteen with no plugins, same deal.

For example… in #tribe-events-footer sits an ul.tribe-events-sub-nav with 2 links, previous and next. Those are in English, while other stuff is correctly translated in my language.

Any thought on this?

With regards,
    Paul

Leah

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your post. The problem is that even though the strings are translated, the .po file itself is outdated so the translations don’t work as they should. What you’ll need to do is update the .po file you’re using with the latest .pot file. Check out the Getting Started post where you’ll find the file and the instructions to do this (in step #6).

If you need help, let me know what language you are using and I can assist you. I’d also be interested in having you add your translations to the plugins, if it’s one we don’t have an update for. You could earn a free PRO license in exchange. The details are in the Getting Started post as well.

Best,

Leah

crystalparknewmedia
    Participant

Ok, I think I did everything ok but it’s still not translated.
    Check: https://i.cloudup.com/YhV0RAv2Oj.png
    It’s still in English while it is translated in the *.po & *.mo files.
    The steps I took:

1. download the files from here and here
    2. opened the *.po’s and updated them from the *.pot file
    3. checked the translations: Previous / Next as seen in the screenshot
    4. Saved file and generated the *.mo file
    5. replaced them in both “events-calendar-pro” and “the-events-calendar” plugin folders
    6. checked wp-config.php for right WPLANG (define(‘WPLANG’, ‘nl_NL’);”
    7. refreshed / cleared cache and multiple browser check

Is there anything else I can check… or am I still missing something?
    Why can’t I put the translation files in “wp-content/lang” folder so it’s update safe? Isn’t that the right way to go?

Cheers,
    Paul

Dirk
    Participant

Hi,
    I noticed that you’re looking for a working nl_NL translation. Recently I was working on them and they were outdated. I translated also the missing things but I think they didn’t uptdate them yet. Haven’t heard back from then yet, they don’t visit that often I guess.
    In the meantime you can find my finished and working (using them myself) Dutch translations in this post: https://tri.be/support/forums/topic/doing-dutch-translations/
    Just replace your .mo and .po files and they should work. If they don’t, let me now, been working on/with them for a couple days now and I guess I can help you with it.
    Cheers,
    Dirk Westenberg

Leah

Hi crystalparknewmedia,

If you need to maintain your specific translation, you would need to somehow keep it from getting overwritten in an update. However, I don’t think you’ll need to- can you please try downloading and installing the nl_NL files that Dirk made? Those will be automatically included in the next release of the plugin, and you wouldn’t need to worry about them getting overwritten. I suspect that doing that will fix your trouble with the Next/Previous links as well 🙂

Best,

Leah

Dirk
    Participant

Hi,
    Yes, what he said! ;). And if you need help translating specific words to make it suit your website a little more just let me know. Leah probably has a ton of topics to go through and I just did all that. No problem helping you out.

Cheers,
    Dirk

crystalparknewmedia
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks, I got it sorted. I know how to work with *.po & *.mo files. Somehow not everything got translated. Don’t ask me why. Just now I logged in FTP replaced the files I made last week and it worked. So might have been some caching thing / develop server issue… beats me. Works now.

Thanks for your time.
    Paul

Leah

Glad to hear you got things working Paul! Thanks for letting us know.

~Leah

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Not everything is translated while the data is in the .po / .mo files’ is closed to new replies.