Help Desk

Month View current month not translating from English

  • Posts: 2 Topics: 2
    | Permalink

    Hello,

    Our school district website uses Events Calendar Pro to display major school district holidays and events, and the WPML plugin to provide equivalent content in Spanish. Overall, the two plugins work very well together. However, there is one problem I have tried and tried to solve on my own, including searching other Help Desk posts, and I can’t seem to find a solution.

    If you look at the attached screenshot, or go to https://eusd.org/es/eventos/mes/, you’ll notice everything on the page in Month View is properly translated to Spanish. In fact, many some of those translations (days of the week, and last month/next month navigation) happened automatically/naturally without me having to do anything. However, as you can see, the month name / title at the top of the page still says “January” when it should say “Enero.”

    Does anyone have any ideas why this is failing to translate? I’m using tribe_get_current_month_text(); to display the month name.

    Thank you!

    Dave

    Posts: 9834 Topics: 1
    | Permalink

    Good evening Dave and welcome back!

    Thank you for reaching out to us.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

    This is a bit tricky since you are using a custom view. As you can imagine, pinpointing the cause of the issue might take longer than on the default template.

    With that in mind, here are a couple of things I would recommend trying to see if they help:

    1. It looks like you are missing the string translation plugin from your install.
      Please read the following guide: https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/setting-up-the-events-calendar-with-wpml/

      Under the String Translation menu, search for “January” and make sure ALL instances are translated (tribe context or not)

    2. Try playing with theĀ Language filtering for AJAX operations
      option under WPML’s main menu

    Additionally, can you tell me what your your settings are for the localization option underĀ /wp-admin/admin.php?page=sitepress-multilingual-cms%2Fmenu%2Ftheme-localization.php ?

    Hang in there!

    Geoff B.

    Posts: 2 Topics: 2
    | Permalink

    Hi Geoff,

    Thanks for your reply! Sorry I’m delayed in replying, busy week.

    So I’ve cloned our site to a staging server to experiment with this issue without disrupting the live site.

    On that staging server, I’ve followed the directions on https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/setting-up-the-events-calendar-with-wpml/ verbatim.

    I’ve also tried enabling the “Language filtering for AJAX operations.”

    I’ve also searched for “January” under String Translation, and all instances already were translated to Enero.

    Unfortunately, despite all that, the “January 2018” title at the top of month view is still showing as “January 2018” not “Enero 2018.”

    Furthermore, I’m noticing a new issue after installing WPML Translation Management and WPML String Translation where URLs are breaking. For example, the English URL for month view is:

    https://staging-eusd.kinsta.com/events/month/

    The Spanish equivalent URL should be:

    https://staging-eusd.kinsta.com/es/eventos/mes/

    But that link is now broken / showing as a 404.

    As you can see on our live server, the equivalent page URL (https://eusd.org/es/eventos/mes/) works just fine. But over on staging, installing the String Translation plugin seems to be causing it to break.

    To answer your questions about my settings for Localization Options, please see the attached screenshot.

    My fear at this point is that this issue is primarily on the WPML side of the line. I frankly don’t have the technical know-how to troubleshoot something this deep, especially seeing how cumbersome and complicated the WPML plugin really is (and their website and documentation isn’t nearly as helpful as The Event Calendar’s). It’s a plugin that works perfectly for standard pages and posts, but I have yet to see it work without issue with another third-party plugin (Gravity Forms, Events Calendar, or otherwise), regardless of what kind of theme is being used.

    If you have any other hints or ideas based on what I’ve described, and my Localization Options, I’m all ears. Otherwise, I may have to just give up on this and leave the Spanish month view title showing in English because all other aspects seem to be working just fine without the additional String Translation and Translation Management plugins.

    Thank you!

    Posts: 9834 Topics: 1
    | Permalink
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Posts: 7
    | Permalink

    Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

    Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

    | Permalink

The topic ‘Month View current month not translating from English’ is closed to new replies.