Live Filtering by Location for Multiple Pages

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar Live Filtering by Location for Multiple Pages

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Derek
    Participant

Hi there, a bit new here but hopefully someone can help out with my issue.

I am using the events calendar Pro along with the filter bar plugin and am trying to figure out if this will do what I need it to. I think the easiest way would be to explain what I want to do, and then maybe get a suggestion on if the plugin will work if configured right, or if it is too complex.

Currently we have this event page: http://kidsandtech.org/events/ for a complete picture. This is what we ultimately want it to look like. Say that theoretically, we want this to eventually to extend out to the United States and other cities. Basically we want to be able to filter events by state level then down to city level, and have the events populate live depending on the filtered results. We also have this page (in progress) http://kidsandtech.org/events-page/ that has the filtering ability.

The issue that I have come across: 1) the filtered cities do not change by state, so it seems a bit silly to be able to search for events in the city of Houston but the state of Washington because obviously that will have no results. If there is a point where there are cities across all 50 states, you don’t really want to sift through every single city that is in every state. Is there a way around this? And 2) we want to be able to carry this filtering ability over to additional pages rather than just future events. We also want to be able to have people be able to search in a similar fashion for camps and community activities rather than just “events”. Is this able to be done?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Barry

Hi Derek,

Thanks for posting!

If there is a point where there are cities across all 50 states, you don’t really want to sift through every single city that is in every state. Is there a way around this?

I definitely see your point and it sounds like you need the filters to operate in a dynamic, drill down sort of fashion (ie, if the user first selects Oregon then only cities in Oregon are available via the city dropdown).

Unfortunately, Filter Bar is not designed to work this way. It seems possible you could make it do this as a further customization, but that would be beyond the scope of what we can help you with (you are, of course, welcome to post this as a feature request for our further consideration).

we want to be able to carry this filtering ability over to additional pages rather than just future events.

If you have past events (and you do) then you can use Filter Bar there, too – is that what you mean?

We also want to be able to have people be able to search in a similar fashion for camps and community activities rather than just “events”. Is this able to be done?

Filter Bar integrates tightly with The Events Calendar and the primary post type The Events Calendar concerns itself with is the event … so, if you create your camps and community activities as new events then yes this is possible – but if they need to exist as entirely separate entities then, again, it seems possible you could do this but would certainly involve some advanced customization work.

Does that answer your questions?

Derek
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. I think that mostly answers what I needed.

Barry

OK, great 🙂

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Live Filtering by Location for Multiple Pages’ is closed to new replies.