Integration with Gravity Forms?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Integration with Gravity Forms?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    cleverdaisies
    Participant

Thanks Christina! This worked for me. I had to make a few adjustments to add some extra fields, but I got it to work.

Only issue is the venue name, like you. However at least the rest of the information is populating! It would be great to get it fixed but at least we can make do until the community add-on is released.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Rob

Excellent to hear you got that working, Meghan. We’re still checking into the venue on our end so it’s possible we’ll be able to provide a solution on that if one exists that’ll work across the board.

cleverdaisies
    Participant

Thanks Rob! It would be great if there was a solution! We can work with it however until the add-on is released. Just a matter of changing the names of the venues before approving the event.

Thanks again!

Andrew
    Participant

This is looking exciting!

Rob

Thanks to everyone for their contributions. As Andrew notes, super exciting. Feel free to keep dropping feedback/questions in here and we’ll hit them as they come.

Rona

I had a gruesome experience yesterday, losing a full day of populating my prized new Local Food Calendar at http://www.savoringkentucky.com. The problems came when I began trying to implement a front-side form so people can submit their own items for the food calendar. It’s a long story, after trying to follow the Creative Slice tutorial, I ended up with 505 errors and a completely blank white page instead of a website. The 505 error appeared when I tried inserting the offered code in the custom_function.php file of the Thesis Theme. There was no stepping back one step and recovering – tried that. I had to reset to the previous night’s save, losing all my wonderful new calendar entries, about four hours’ worth.

So – now my question is, should a person who knows only enough to copy and paste and follow instructions closely NOT try to set up forms that blog users can complete? Although the tutorial was clear, I’m guessing it (1) wasn’t exactly applicable to ECP 2.0.1, and (2) may not have been compatible with some plugins I am using, though I don’t know which. But beyond that – am I going to need to really understand php in order to get this to work myself? Does anyone know whether purchasing Gravity Forms’ developer version instead of personal (which is what I presently have) would make enough support available to walk me through these kinds of rather dire situations?

I am using Thesis 1.8 on WordPress 3.2.1, Mac 10.6.8, Gravity Forms 1.6.1, Event Calendar Pro 2.0.1. When I turned on my computer this morning I had a message that a secondary Gravity Forms plugin, Gravity Forms [Plus] Custom Post Types had been deleted because of a problem.

Rona

More happiness than I can say, with a source I can’t imagine: everything is back in place two days after the debacle. Every event, organizer, venue, category. Inexplicable, and I’ll take it.

Rob

Sounds like you had a serious issue there, Rona – I’m assuming based on your follow-up note that you got this resolved on your own? Do you need anything else from us or have any questions for the team that I could pass along?

Rona

I did have a crashed site two days ago from using just the “Tim” tutorial, not having discovered all this later information until I, of course, had to. All is well on my site now, though I’m skittish about trying the code fix myself again, given that we are expecting Community Events late 2011, and it’s late 2011. The thing I wonder, though, is whether the people who know Tim might suggest some warning or explanatory language be added at the top of his tutorial. Might have saved me about 36 pretty uncomfortable hours.

And Yea for the coming Community Events capacity!

Rob

Heh…Community Events is still planned for late 2011, though we’re going to be cutting it close, so that “late 2011” will mean “the last week or two of 2011.” It is still on track to be out, at least in beta stage, by the end of the year.

It’s a good point regarding some explanatory language at the top of Tim’s tutorial; last I saw he’d added something along those lines. What exactly would you like to see there? I’d be happy to pass the suggestion his way.

Jeremy
    Participant

Much thanks to Christina for the above help in getting this all updated for 2.0. I now have this fully functional except that the new venue does not register with the new event. The venue is created, the event is created, but the custom field _EventVenueID is never populated.

I can get this field to populate using an autogenerated list of the old venues, using the post id as the value, and this is working great.

But with a new venue, it looks to me like this is because the VenueID, which is used to associate the event, is never registered. In Christina’s function file she so graciously shared there is a line ..

$_POST[‘Venue’] = array(‘VenueID’ => $_POST[‘Venue’][‘VenueID’]);

Trouble is, $_POST[‘Venue’][‘VenueID’] is never defined anywhere. So the question becomes – how can you retrieve the venue ID, though it is only being created now. It seems a followup action could be created that grabs the id and then registers it with the event.

I am still working on the best way and the timing for retrieving this ID and feed it back to the event data. Is there any return value in the TribeEventsAPI class that might get me closer?

Obviously I’m still working out these ideas, I figured I’d post here to see if anyone can fill in the blanks in my brainstorm. I’ll followup if I come up with it first 🙂 Any ideas or help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

Hey Jeremy. This is a good question; I’m not sure what’s up here, but maybe Christina will be able to share whether she had a related experience/resolution?

Rob

Christina: any chance you’d be willing to share whether you faced this and if so how Jeremy could get through it? You seemed to have figured this out nicely…

Christina
    Participant

Rob, I was never able to resolve the issue. I’m in the same state as Jeremy.

capecodlife
    Participant

Hello all,

Thanks to everyone for sharing their ideas thus far!

I’ve got a workaround going for the venue name. While workarounds are terrible for productions environments, perhaps we can get closer to a proper manipulation.

Tested on:
    Gravity Forms 1.6.2
    Gravity Forms & Custom Post Types 3
    The Events Calendar 2.0.3
    Events Calendar Pro 2.0.3

Short answer:

add the following line to the Venue Field declarations in the new format_event_date function

$_POST[‘post_title’] = $_POST[‘input_’. $venueName];

Long answer:

I poked around in the events classes and located a couple methods designed for updating venues and organizations separately from the event (starts at line 1500 in the-events-calendar.class.php).

After following the data down the rabbit hole for a while, it appears as though the new function (for the theme) and the save_venue_data method (the-events-calendar.class.php) cancel each other out as an attempt to sync the venue post_title with the venue[Venue] value.

Commenting out these methods allows for the Venue name to be saved when adding an new event, but breaks the “al-la-carte” saving of a venue or organization.

There is a particular conditional in the save_venue_data method that runs right before the custom field data is parsed (this conditional doesn’t exist for organizers). The conditional checks to see if the value of “post_title” exists (I assume within a Venue post object). To circumvent the conditional entering a new title of “Unnamed Venue,” I passed the post tile as the venue name (see Short answer above). The save_venue_data skips the value change and passes the correct value along to venue[Venue] accordingly.

It does the trick without editing any plugin files, but is in no way a “fix”.

The problem seems to stem from how the Venues and Organizers handle custom fields. The organizers use a custom field for the title, while the Venue interacts with the post title. That would explain the conditional check for a post title when parsing the data.

Is anyone else seeing the post title field for their venues? Or do I have an upgrade bug? Or are they actually stored both as post titles and custom fields?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 65 total)
  • The topic ‘Integration with Gravity Forms?’ is closed to new replies.