How about not putting events with coordinates 0, 0 on the map ?

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar How about not putting events with coordinates 0, 0 on the map ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    csikimacko
    Participant

As you can see in the Forums it is too frequent that a location has its coordinates reset to 0, 0.
    In this case Events Calendar marks the location on the map somewhere near Africa, in the middle of the ocean.
    I would suggest that you change the script so that those locations are not marked on the map at all, instead.

Brian
    Keymaster

Hello csikimacko,

Thanks for the suggest. We recently changed the coding so that instead of pulling in the coordinates every time we save it in the database for the event. This should help with the issue as before if there was a javascript error preventing that connect with google maps the map would default to 0,0 and show off the Coast of West Africa.

Try resaving the venue with the 0,0 coordinates and see if that changes it.

You can also use the plugin Event Rocket to change directly change the coordinates yourself.

Event Rocket

That is an unofficial plugin, but is supported by the Events Calendar Developers.

csikimacko
    Participant

Hi Brian,
    and thanks for the reply.
    I do have Event Rocket so I can see the coordinates right away. Resaving a Venue that has 0,0 coordinates doesn’t help.
    I am sure Google can find the location because the Google Maps link works as expected.
    I have to say this is a very annoying issue that keeps coming back. Having just one Venue with 0,0 coordinates masses up the entire Map View for Events.
    My original point was that the Events Calendar shall ignore every location that has 0,0 coordinates. After all, the chance of the actual coordinates of a Venue being 0,0 is virtually zero, isn’t it? This would, of course, involve not showing the map in the Venue’s page either.
    The best solution, needless to say, would be is ehe Events Calendar would find and save the right coordinates.
    An example address:
    http://dev.szolnokzene.hu/helyszin/jubileum-bowling-center/

Brian
    Keymaster

Hi thanks for replying back.

I get what you are saying, so I will put in a feature question in your ticket system and see if the developers have a solution.

There is not much else I can do with this right now, do you have any other information or questions related to this let me know.

Thanks

csikimacko
    Participant

Thanks.
    I guess we can keep this open until there is feedback from the devs.

Brian
    Keymaster

After asking around I am going to put in a feature ticket in our system to take a look at adding this into the plugin.

I cannot say when or even if it will be added, but we will take a closer look at doing it.

So I will include this ticket with that one and we will update you on this ticket here when we might have something.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and let me know if you have anymore information to add before I close this ticket for now.

Thanks

Brian
    Keymaster

I am going to close this topic as we typically close threads if there is no activity after two weeks. There is a ticket in the system to look into preventing this behavior and we will update you once we have some news on when it will be included in a future release.

Feel free to start a new thread if you have anything new to this or something else.
    Thanks

Leah

Hi there,

I wanted to post here and update you. Although we weren’t able to get a fix for the issue your reported into our upcoming 3.9 release, it is still on our list to get corrected. Thank you for reporting the problem, and for your patience and support while we get a solid fix in place. We’ll update you when a solution is ready to go.

Best,
    Leah

Leah

Hi there,

Thank you for your support and patience while we worked on this issue. We are happy announce that we have incorporated a fix into our upcoming 3.10 release. Keep an eye out for a release announcement on our site and for updates available on your WordPress dashboard.

While we have thoroughly tested this release and are confident of its quality, it is impossible to account for every edge case in the wide world of WordPress. If you run into trouble with the new version or you don’t see your reported issue corrected, please start a new thread and we will be happy to work with you.

Thanks again for your patience here. We’re excited to get this version out the door and into your hands!

Best,
    The Events Calendar Team

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘How about not putting events with coordinates 0, 0 on the map ?’ is closed to new replies.